1984 O'day 17 foot leaky centerboard

Nov 16, 2018
O'Day 17 Lake Travis Austin Texas
The man sold me a boat that leaks from up in the centerboard. the board it is leaning to one side. i have never repaired fiberglass before. i think i will need to cut into the bottom of my boat. That scares me to death. But, looks like Ill need to do it. i dont know what tool i would do this action with. I have searched the internet till i am blue in the face. There is nothing out there that i can find, not on U-tube or the internet. There has got to be someone on this website that could tell me how to repair this, what kind of resins, and fiberglass. step by step, i hope thats not asking too much. i need to know the tools ill need to purchase.
Please, im desperate and worried about my boat.
Thanks for all your help
Sincerely
Markham

Nov 16, 2018
Thank you so much Will. We have one here in Austin Texas. Today is a beautiful warm windy day if the boat wasnt taking on water . I’d be on the lake sailing.
But, it is
what it is-

Aug 28, 2015
Oday 28 St Joseph, MI
Do you mean the centerboard trunk is leaning to one side? If that’s the case then the previous owner obviously hit something with the board down. Fiberglass repair does not have to be scary. Just remember that resin alone has little strength compared to glass cloth impregnated with resin. Can you post a photo?

Nov 16, 2018
Thank you so much Will. We have one here in Austin Texas. Today is a beautiful warm windy day if the boat wasnt taking on water . I’d be on the lake sailing.
But, it is
what it is-
It looks like it won’t b until March until I can get it to my house and open it up to see. A friend of mine told me not to worry and welcome in owning a boat. Lol

Mar 20, 2004
Hunter 356 and 216 Portland, ME
On the Daysailer the trunk is glassed into the hull and the board hangs from the pivot with the handle on it. if the handle is leaking the gaskets are readily available. If, as WI suggests, the trunk has broken loose the PO probably did hit something and you'll have to rebuild the fiberglass around the bottom of the trunk where it attaches to the hull. I'd remove the board and place a beam across the deck above the trunk, then use a framing square to line up the trunk. clean and sand down the trunk to hull joint and rebuild the glass inside the hull - you've got plenty of room. Before you start, look at the stern and see if you have one or two drain plugs; some versions of the DS have a double bottom with a grid in between. When you can, please post pictures, your serial number and manufacturer. Daysailer.org has charts to help you determine which version you have. If you have a single hull, you can then glass and fair the bottom around the slot to make sure it's well sealed. If you have a double bottom, the bottom repair might need to be more substantial.
Other good resources are westsystem.com, they publish a 100 page guide that's usually free, and the bible for glass work - "the gougeon brothers on boat construction". Their products are also really good for all kinds of glass repair.

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
On the Daysailer the trunk is glassed into the hull and the board hangs from the pivot with the handle on it. if the handle is leaking the gaskets are readily available. If, as WI suggests, the trunk has broken loose the PO probably did hit something and you'll have to rebuild the fiberglass around the bottom of the trunk where it attaches to the hull.r.
The problem is the question is in regards to a 1984 DS II, so the CB is line-operated, no lever. The CB trunk is also strongly braced by the raised cockpit sole (DS II has a "self-bailing" cockpit). So, I am baffled as to how the CB trunk could be "leaning to one side"?

Is this boat actually a 1984 "O'DAY", or is she a Rebel/Spindrift-built DS I (O'Day stopped building the DS I around 1977 and the DS I after that was built by another builder until last ones were built around 1987, DS I was replaced by the DS IV, built by Sunfish-Laser starting in 1990).
If actually a Spindrift instead of an O'DAY, then did someone remove the 2 seats/braces that connect the CB trunk to the seats? If so, that may be how the CB trunk flexed enough to crack and now lean to one side.

First 2 pictures below show a Spindrift DS I vintage 1984. Third picture shows a 1984 O'DAY DS II cockpit.

Attachments