1984 Hunter 31 - Persistent leak near fuel tank

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
In my 1983 I don't have that shelf. My batteries are in the starboard lazarette along with the deisel tank. gives me a little starboard list when the water tank is low.
2014-10-28 22.01.14.jpg

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
How many batteries do you have, Chip? And if only two, are they in the molded battery tray?

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
SFS,
Two in the molded tray with plastic battery boxes. I need to take a picture down there, but still cleaning up the wiring.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
I just finished my final scrub down before putting the tarp over the boat and after running copious amounts of water into the cockpit I climbed down into the starboard laz to see if the leak was running over from the port cockpit scupper and guess what, as soon as I got down there I saw a continuous drip coming from the fibreglass part of the STARBOARD scupper, just above where the hose connects to it. It will be a simple fix, all I have to do is grind it down a bit all the way around and wrap a couple layers of fibreglass cloth around it with resin and presto, Bob's yer uncle. I wish it had been as easy to find as it will be to fix. (assuming it is the only one).

SFS

Aug 18, 2015
Currently Boatless Okinawa
Awesome. Remember to wear safety glasses, even if hand grinding with a file. Gravity is not your friend there, while looking up. Don't ask me how I know.

So was the water flowing down the hose to the low point, then dripping off? Does the geometry concur with what you originally observed as to where the water pools? I'm having trouble imagining how water would have moved from this specific source to get to your quarterberth.

Reg M

May 21, 2016
Hunter 31 Montague
Yes, the water war running down the hose to the point where it curved too muck for the water to continue to cling to it at .which point it dropped onto the floor of the laz just aft of the fuel tank. From there it just ran under the centerline bulkhead into the quarter berth. I have the boat all cover now so I'll fix it in the spring.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
Here are my updates. Good news is, the quarterberth is dry. However it wasn't until we were working on the electrical and had to pull the pedestal guard off that we saw the PO had installed the metal base the posts slot into onto the deck with regular screws! They were totally rusted and just crumbled. Drilled the part in the floor out ans sure enough the plywood on the stbd side post was soaking wet. That's where water was getting in to drip on the false floor by the cable pulleys and pedestal mount. Anyway, I fiberglassed the holes shut and no water since. Still doing electrical work 50 hours of marine electrician time so far, it was a frickin mess, however we haven't reinstalled the pedestal guard yet. We also moved two of the batteries and they are now in that space on the floor in front of the quarterberth. We enclosed them in a box. The starter battery is still in the battery compartment on the stbd side, but I now have lots of room for storage and for crawling in there! Seems both scuppers are dry, however I am going to rebed them in the spring.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
Thought I would add an update on this leak stuff.
Early this year, there was still water getting in to the aft lazarette. We noticed finally that the PO had drilled a hole through the deck top beside one of the rear stanchions to allow the two small wires to pass through from the stern light. We removed them from the hole and used a proper fitting mounted on the upper part of the transom. I fiber-glassed the old hole after cleaning which was only poorly sealed with some kind of sealer. Lazarette has been dry ever since. This I believe was a main cause of rear lazarette water problems. One thing I still want to do is re seal the binnacle. Overall I believe I have resolved this rear leak issue.

Jul 29, 2016
Hunter 31 Comox BC
One last update on this topic for me.
I found water still dripping after a big rain through the screw holes that attach that false ceiling in the quarter-berth. I suspected the port side scupper and took it apart, and was surprised what I found. It was just a metal cover over hole drilled through the deck leading to the pipe that exits the transom.. Water would run through the cover and down the sides of the hole and then wick back between the layers of fiberglass in the ceiling until it made its way to the binnacle opening, and then drip through. I bought a piece of pvc pipe and sanded it down so it fitted in the hole then sealed it in place, sealing the metal cover on top. Now any water going into the scupper can only drain through the pvc pipe and down into the exit piping. Problem solved, the quarter-berth has been completely dry all winter! - FINALLY.
I also resealed the binnacle on the cockpit floor just in case, but apparently it wasn't leaking. It sure won't now!
Still a couple of VERY minor drips but not in the quarter-berth, can finally say I have a dry boat!