1983 Hunter 22 Trailer project complete.

Jun 28, 2014
Hunter 22 Trailered Various
Recently adopted '83 Hunter 22 on tandem axel trailer. Looks to me like the trailer needs help, but this will be my first trailer mod so any advice and any/all specifics are greatly appreciated.

Boat dry wight is about 3400 lbs. It has a centerboard that cannot bear weight of the boat.
  • The one set of bunks seem to be placed too close together to be acting alone
  • Boat held fast to trailer with a wood pallet atop cabin and a cargo strap
  • Fenders missing
What do you recommend? How would you do it? I do live next to a man with a shop who can do about any welding/fabrication.
20160313_175531.jpg
20160313_175521.jpg
20160313_175606.jpg

Thank-You in advance and Fair Winds!

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Personally email me via the forum. Use to be a sailboat dealer now retired. I am in Virginia and was involved with trailers as well. I too would be changing things out. Looks like a home built or made by a company who knew nothing about trailers. I do not want to discuss the mfg. name at all but can well understand your concerns. I believe you can use that trailer.

Jun 28, 2014
Roger that, Crazy Dave. And you're right, I found-out only yesterday this trailer was built by a previous owner. It seems strong and sound overall but in my amature opinion it could benefit from someone who knew more about trailers than me.

Again... thanks!

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
New Bunk Boards (Large).jpeg
This is what the bunk boards look like for our Hunter 20 which is a swing keel boat like yours, just a bit smaller. I made the V in the back to help guide the keel into the keel slot between the center bunk boards. that was a huge help and worked great.
Good luck.

Sam

Doug J

May 2, 2005
Hunter 26 Oceanside, CA
I restored two trailers from the ground up, and I think your trailer definitely looks pretty good. You'll need to do some re-configuration of the bunks, maybe new bearings, tires, lights, etc. But it looks like a strong trailer.
Boat looks pretty nice too!:biggrin:

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Flagbag

I will give ;you a call next week as there is a way to be safer. thanks for posting. My biggest concern is the bunk board supports should be further out secured to the frame with a side bar holding them sideways so they cannot give way going outwards with adjustable supports so you can attach treated lumber with carpet and be able to contour those bunk boards to the hull. Just a bad week for me with all going on and the loss of a dear friend of mine.

Jun 28, 2014
Roger that Crazy Dave. Sorry for your loss of a good friend. No need to fret about my trailer but please know I appreciate your being a good friend to a sailor at such a sad time. Until fair winds blow... take care and may God look over you and yours.

Oct 28, 2013
Hunter 20 Lake Monroe
Flagbag,
The nice thing about using multiple bunk boards like our trailer has is you can drop one at a time and paint the bottom on the trailer. Plus they spread the load out really well.
I can Sen you close ups of the up rights on the bunk boards and the brackets that hold the boards to the up rights.

Sam

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
A V-guide in can be a good idea, but I ran into some complications when I did that to my previous trailer. The lead in was a nice V, however the ramp I launched at was so steep, that the keel would float well above the V, so the V never had any practical value. I've seen where the V lead in angled up very high.I would imagine that might help, but in the end, just putting up goal posts may be better.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
IMG_0047.JPG IMG_0048.JPG
Flagbag,
My 1981 H22 (swing keel) trailer is, I believe, original to the boat. It was made by "MagicTilt". See the pix attached for profile... I thought I had made .ppt slides with dimensions, and I did, back in 2013. See that converted to .pdf file attached as well

Attachments

Last edited:

Karyon

Jun 8, 2004
Hunter 23.5 Red deer, Alberta
Flagbag,
My 1981 H22 (swing keel) trailer is, I believe, original to the boat. It was made by "MagicTilt". See the pix attached for profile.
I would think the axle must have been changed out, looking at the wheels they are mobile home wheels, and a really odd tire size.

SeaTR

Jan 24, 2009
Hunter 22 Groton
The axle could have been changed out. I don't know. They are Power King Lowboys (8-14.5 LT).
Anywho, the shape and general dimensions are provided for Flagbag's trailer modification ideas. He already has his own axle / wheels to work with.

Jun 28, 2014
20161019_111802.jpg

Overhauled the trailer with grandson's help and I think it came-out pretty good! While boat was on local lake we completely removed the bunks and supports as well as old lights and the winch post/support. Working a a local welding and machine shop we welded strengthening cross-members and reinforcements to the trailer frame and welded new bases on the bunk supports. Also went to much stronger U-Bolts (not cheap, but worth the peace of mind!). Also took the time to sand any rust-makers to bare metal, prime, and paint with heavy oil-base anti-rust paint.... and better color too... now matches the original Hunter reddish-color on her hull. New bunk carpet, new lights all around and a wheel bearing maintenance to boot. Sails wonderful and now pulls like a dream too.

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Flag, that is a handsome looking outfit. You're not going to get it WET, are you?

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
Flagbag;
Without close up photos, it is a little hard to tell what specifically was done but my main concern is the support brackets for the bunk board and winch stand. There fore I will comment from the original photos.
It is obvious that was a remake of something as the rear trailer brace is straight across and not a V shape to accommodate the swing keel.
1. Each bracket should be metal with a welded bracket to accept a metal support that can be adjusted with a side beam to ensure that support bracket cannot base cannot move.
2. higher winch stand so that the winch strap goes straight out and not up
3. If the weight of the trailer and boat exceed generally 3000 pounds, check with your state laws as to brakes.
4. Many states do not allow over hang of 6 feet.
5. remove pallet from boat. If mast is supported aft and forward, a simple cushion style block in center of mast would be fine if going long distances.
6. Suggest rear strap be angled backwards maybe behind the winches and turned a couple of times to prevent boat from sliding backwards even though you have a line seen in the photo to prevent that and by turning strap to prevent wind slap against the hull
How about a phone number to me via private email now

Jun 28, 2014
Thanks Crazy Dave.. no need looking at old photos... as is it's all been overhauled including winch post that meets bow eyelet perfectly. And while I don't need to adjust the bunks they can be with a wrench turning very sturdy castle nut on newly welded heavy steel bases. Pallet long gone as you guess and straps you see are not the ones for the road. Thank you and others for great input.