1983 Beneteau First 325 (need help)

Dec 6, 2017
Hunter 27 ft 92 North Caroline
Hello,

I came across this boat with a good price. Looks like a good first sailboat. I'm a windsurfer and not very familiar with sailboats, so I need your help for this sailboat.

The bottom paint does not look very fresh, but isn't very dirty either. (please see the photo)

1) Can I sail her like this, or is bottom paint something that's extremely important thing to do? What may go wrong if I leave the paint as it is?

Another thing that I'm a bit concerned is the boom. As you can see in the photo, the boom is not on.
2) So, is it broken? or it's just removed and can easily be put back on?

Thanks

Attachments

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The bottom paint doesn’t look too bad in the sense that while it’s discolored it doesn’t seem to be flaking off. Having said that, some types of paint, particularly hard paints, lose their antifouling properties once out of the water for a while. You will probably need to repaint to prevent barnacle and slime growth if you plan to keep the boat in the water.

On the boom - good chance it was just taken off for storage, but there’s no way to really know without closer inspection or fitting it to the gooseneck.

In any case, I’d be concerned about any problems that might be less visible, and would recommend a survey or at least inspection by someone with more experience depending on purchase price.

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Hello aliurganci, If you want more general information on the boat check sailboatdata.com under First 235. There is also a link to Owner groups there which had a review of the boat. (Although, reviews often tell you all the wonderful attributes of the boat.) As mentioned get a survey by a professional or take someone familiar with sailboats when you examine the boat. The engine will need to be examined and test run. Welcome & Best Wishes

Jun 11, 2004
Oday 31 Redondo Beach
Hello,

I came across this boat with a good price. Looks like a good first sailboat. I'm a windsurfer and not very familiar with sailboats, so I need your help for this sailboat.

The bottom paint does not look very fresh, but isn't very dirty either. (please see the photo)

1) Can I sail her like this, or is bottom paint something that's extremely important thing to do? What may go wrong if I leave the paint as it is?

Another thing that I'm a bit concerned is the boom. As you can see in the photo, the boom is not on.
2) So, is it broken? or it's just removed and can easily be put back on?

Thanks
Is the boat pictured a Beneteau First 235?

Aug 2, 2005
Pearson 33-2 & Typhoon 18 Seneca Lake
Looks like a good first sailboat. I'm a windsurfer and not very familiar with sailboats, so I need your help for this sailboat.

Since it is now described as a 32 foot First 325 I would suggest it is a HUGE step up from a sailboard! A large investment for a first boat and many 33 year old systems to understand and maintain.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
Since it is now described as a 32 foot First 325 I would suggest it is a HUGE step up from a sailboard! A large investment for a first boat and many 33 year old systems to understand and maintain
Agree, and I’ll add more emphasis to my suggestion to get a closer look from someone who knows the things to check for - inboard engine, chainplates, rigging, electrical, etc.

Good luck though, hope it works out for you!

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
dyslexia can strike at any time
So PLEASE give generously to the Big Advancement of Clinical Knowledge Warehouse And Research of Dyslexia Association.

Aliurgansi, have you bought this boat already? You can certainly sail her with the paint as it is. If you haven't bought her, you should get the owner to take you for a sail, if you can get her in the water. If that isn't possible, have the owner go over the setup with you.
It sounds, by your question about the boom, like you have already taken possession of the boat. Maybe the previous owner would be willing to walk you through it.
A surveyor would help a lot, whether you are buying the boat or have already bought her. Ask questions, even ones that are not directly related to the survey. The surveyor will have good knowledge of sailing in general and, I'm sure, be happy to share.
This sight (SBO) is a good resource too. However, since most of us are remote, good pictures with closeups for detail and wider angles for context would be most helpful.
That is a lot of boat for a first sailboat. Congratulations. You must be excited.
Welcome.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Dec 6, 2017
Hunter 27 ft 92 North Caroline
Hello Will,

I haven't bought it yet. I will definitely have someone who is knowledgable with me to check the boat and the engine before paying anything.

Thank you for your reply!!

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
It's not about the sailing. The sailing is the easy part. Nor is it just about being able to purchase a boat. It's about the securing the boat (see my signature quote) anchoring, maintaining the equipment (unless you have the money to hire others [given you can even find someone at any price who is competent and honest] to maintain your equipment), taxes, and finding an affordable place to keep a boat these days.
Before you step up to a boat that big, be sure you are certain it isn't more than you can comfortably maintain/handle alone (will you always have crew?) and something you can afford in these uncertain economic times.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Beneteaus have solid glass hulls. And decks with hardware in solid glass in areas they drilled hardware into. So unless a P.O. went crazy with a drill, the glass should be fine. Keel attachment is solid, just check bolts. Keel is cast iron so check that. The vinyl header will fall if it has not already, a big and messy job but not costly. It probably has a Volvo motor, reliable but with costly parts.

Everything else is 30ish year old boat stuff.

Oct 3, 2011
Anam Cara Catalina 310 Hull #155 155 Lake Erie/Catawba Island
I would also suggest looking at any documentation that is with the boat: IE: engine hours, oil changes, fuel filter changes, impeller changes, electronics manuals-Do they work or not?, who has done the work?, any leaks, you can also check out the asking price by getting on-line to look at similar boats in similar condition.
As capta said-its not the original cost of the boat-its the cost of EVERYTHING that goes with it and also crew-dockage,insurance,running rigging,standing rigging. The bigger the boat, the more expensive, where will you dock it and do you have to haul in and out, that can be expensive also.
We are NOT trying to scare you away but go in with your eyes open-Sailing is Amazing and you have gotten some sage advice from folks who know!
Feel free to come back with other questions.