1982 Hunter 33 replacement windows

HM25LB

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 33 Mimico Cruising Club
Hi folks,

I am looking at replacing my original windows on my '82 Hunter Cherubini 33. Some of them have cracks, some of them leak. I have thought about removing them to reseal and reinstall but some of them need to be replaced.
Anyone knows what would be a perfect fit to replace them?
By that I mean windows that would fit the hole without having to do some cutting?
Thanks

Laurent

Jun 21, 2007
Hunter Cherubini 36_80-82 Sausalito / San Francisco Bay
If you have the standard Cherubini Hunter stock windows, they were made by Gray Industries. Going back a few years ago, I remember that the sailboatowners.com store had a complete line of all the various sizes. In either frame+lens kits or just the lens only. Just doing a quick search though, only one size still pops up. As the below url. Suggest that you call sailboatowners and ask.

https://shop.hunterowners.com/hp/part.php?m=33 (1981)&c=2&p=52427

HM25LB

Jul 31, 2016
Hunter 33 Mimico Cruising Club
Yes, I thought about going that route and actually ordered a couple of lenses a while back but from an economical point of vue, I think it is better to go with a new model of window. I am in Canada so I have to pay customs if I get the windows from Hunterowners.com and like you mentioned, they do not manufacture the bigger size anymore and that 6 out of 11 windows..
I thought maybe someone has an idea as to what to replace them with.

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 30_74-83 Rochester, New York (Lake Ontario)
Ahoy Laurent,

I just purchased new Gray ports for my 1979 Hunter 30. Purchased them right here at the store online and they had the three sizes I needed plus they had them in clear or tinted. Just a quick note, you may have to fill in the old drain spigot locations and cut new ones for the current series of Gray ports. Well worth the effort as I believe they will likely drain much more efficiently then the earlier ones. Good luck with your project.

Cheers,
Bob

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Having replaced plastic windows in my Hunter in Canada, I had the same concerns about cost as you. I went with Beckson Raindrains from a local supplier. In retrospect, it would have been easier and almost the same price if I had purchased Gray ports from the SBO chandlery. At least they would have been drop-in replacements. When you take the old ones out, you may find damp or mushy core material in the window opening. This should be repaired and sealed with epoxy to prevent water leaking into the core in the future. Also, prior to re-installation, clean the old silicone away completely, using a suitable solvent and abrasive such as stainless steel wool. Make sure to use the sealant that the manufacturer specifies - usually Dow Corning 795 - DO NOT USE HARDWARE STORE SILICONE!

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
such as stainless steel wool
Good idea about the abrasive, but don't use steel, use bronze, to avoid rust stains from the "droppings."
Dow Corning 795 - DO NOT USE HARDWARE STORE SILICONE!
Superb advice, although Beckson SAYS to use (marine grade) silicone on their ports, which is the ONLY place on my boat that silicone is still used. Everything else gets butyl tape from Maine Sail.