1982 25' busted pintle

Aug 4, 2018
O'Day 25 Madison
Had a great day sail that didn't end so well. I got the 25 2 weeks ago and got 2 sails out of it before my first repair! About what I expected for a boat that needed some love :)

My pintle made a clean cut where the strap meets the pin (looks to be from load cycle wear and tear that shouldn't pop up again). Luckily no transom or rudder damage! I'm inquiring with a local fabricator to have the pintle remade but am very open to any other companies that might be able to do this remotely with a solid reputation. Do any of you have a recommendation? I want to replicate the existing dimensions to avoid new and exposed holes.

I would also appreciate any advice on removing the rudder tomorrow. I'm planning on removing the tiller and then using a couple lines where the tiller typically attaches for insurance if its extraordinarily heavy. Otherwise I plan on shuffling across the cockpit while I have a grip of the rudder to get it close to a dock. In addition having a helper in a dinghy should hopefully be able to guide from the other angle.

Attachments

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
DR should have it, check the holes spacing and confirm with Rudy. Over the years someone could have changed it.

http://www.drmarine.com/products.asp?cat=182

I've lifted mine with tiller still on with no help. I doubt you need someone in a dingy but a safety line can't hurt. With the tiller it is easier to lift off and move to the dock for me.

FDL S2

Jun 29, 2014
S2 7.3 Fond du Lac
I would plan on the rudder being heavy, but not ridiculously heavy, it is probably going to be a bit of an awkward lift though. Keep a line on it like you suggest and if it proves difficult, try running a halyard back to it or secure a block to your stern rail and pull it up that way-using one of your winches if necessary.
For the pintle, I would have your local fabricator make a new one out of stainless using the broken one as a pattern instead of just repairing it.

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I'd guess it is 50 - 60 lbs. I really didn't find it too heavy.

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
You didn't mention year of your 25. Before I purchased my '87 272, I looked for 'complaints' about it. My 272 has a transom hung rudder like the 25. Biggest complaint was Gideon failure. Your pic looks like it may have a crack like mine did. I would check that also and replace both if necessary.

Aug 4, 2018
O'Day 25 Madison
I ended up replacing both gudgeons and the lower pintle. DR had the exact parts I needed.

Lifting the rudder wasn't difficult, and I would agree with the estimate of 50 pounds. I took the tiller off because I needed to bring the rudder into the cockpit since I'm on a mooring.

Replacing the lower gudgeon wasn't tough with a helper to work over the transom. Replacing the upper gudgeon required cutting a 6" access hole from the cockpit. You would need stretchy arms to get to those bolts inside the transom.

Got this wrapped up 10 days ago and back to enjoying the wind with steering!

Dec 27, 2011
Oday 272 Pensacola
Just had a hurricane come close (Gordon?) and a dock line separated, allowing my boat to swing into slipmate Catalina 28. My lower pintle broke - duplicate of how yours looks. Have been out of town/too busy to get a new one. I checked with D&R and they have replacement.