1981 Hunter 30 Silencer/Muffler

Sep 23, 2017
Hunter 30 Hollywood MD
Hello all
I am the proud owner of a 1981 Hunter 30. I noticed water and exhaust was leaking into the Bilge when the engine was running. I was able to identify one or possibly two pin hole leaks in the Muffler/Silencer (Picture Attached). My question is 1. Where can I find a new one or one that will fit. and 2. Any tips on replacing the part, Do I need to remove the fuel tank? Any help would be greatly appreciated. I do love this forum.

Last edited:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Please don't post the same thing in multiple forums. :)

You will end up with multiple, disjoint threads that dilute the benefit of folks' knowledge on the topic.

BTW, people who view "New Posts" will see all of your duplicate postings. How are they to choose which thread to reply to?

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
NP. You might want to delete the redundant thread.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
I had a 1980 H30 with a 2QM15 engine. The original leaking muffler was a SS, water-lock muffler with a 2" inlet and outlet. The SS muffler is no longer manufactured, but you can get a Primex fiberglass replacement from Marineparts.com or a similar item from Defender (Centex). While you are at it, you might as well replace the entire exhaust hose system all the way to the thru hull. I took the entire assembly (hoses and muffler) out in one piece, measured it and then assembled the new parts together before fitting them into the boat (under the fuel tank shelf). I found it easiest to lie on top of the engine while snaking the hoses through the aft part of the boat and then attaching the final hose to the thru hull fitting.