1981 Hunter 27 Rig

Deters

Nov 5, 2018
Hunter 27 RedCliff
I am considering the purchase of a 1981 Hunter 27. The boat is without sails. When trying to order sails boat, it appears the 1981 rig does not match other years. Were all 1981 boats a taller rig? Do you have a Hunter 27, and if so, what are the rig dimensions. The boat is just a little too far away to easily drive to and measure.
Thank you in advance,
Jim

Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
your gonna need to measure no matter what a boat that age could have all types of changes thru the years for free if ya live on coast you could send a sail loft or sailsman out to measure for free and give you mesurements in quote

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
We have specific measuring worksheets, it's easy, give me a call if you're interested in Doyle sails.
877-932-7245 x116
Mon-Fri, 9-3:30 Pacific

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Your '81 should be a tall rig. It seems that the term "tall rig" became more of a sales gimmick rather than an option. I just replaced my mainsail with one that has a 9.3' foot and 32' luff. I haven't replace the jib yet but the measurements I have for it are: 11.4' foot and 37.5' luff. Of course, having a pro measure your rig is the surest way to go.

Deters

Nov 5, 2018
Hunter 27 RedCliff
Thank you "Hertiage"! This was the information I was looking for!!!!
Have a great day,
Jim

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Heritage is on point, The Tall Rig designation was a marketing ploy as there were not shorter rigs. Whatfieros advice is sound and you should take your own measurements as through the years the mast could have been cut, replaced by past POs. The H27 was the least expensive, entry level boat in its size for the era, they gave it the Tall rig Designation to infer there were different models but the only difference between two boats was the keel draft. there was a shallow draft model besides the standard. Least expensive by no means meant cheap, the boat's hull was overbuilt as at the time they were still unsure of the structural qualities of fiberglass. The design was sound and components were of good quality. It is a very good pocket coastal cruiser.

Last edited:
Mar 29, 2017
Hunter 30t 9805 littlecreek
Did anyone catch YouTube chasing bubbles beginning where a totally inexperienced main character bought a H27 and sailed halfway down south America and back

Nov 8, 2007
Hunter 27_75-84 Sandusky Harbor Marina, Ohio
The H27 is a well built cruising boat. Standing headroom in the cabin, 5 really comfortable bunks, and a good ride in the waves are all there.

The Admiral and I have cruised ours over 400 nights on the Great Lakes. We have cruised another 40 nights with four aboard - either two couples, or my Dad and brothers with me. Stowing gear is the challenge with four, but all our crew on those cruises enjoyed themselves. There is good room for four at meals in the cabin or the cockpit, and on deck while sailing. We daysail with 7 when the grandkids and their parents join us for a cruise to Cedar Point.

Finally, I recommend the folks here at SBO for any needs, including sails.

Fair winds and following seas!

Oct 24, 2010
Hunter 30 Everett, WA
I agree with David, we got our sails here on SBO (Doyle sails) and are pleased with them. You do need to measure, however.
I too have a factory setup, but I had to measure and am glad I did. Otherwise, the main would have caused the boom hit our dodger and the jib would have been too tall.

Ken

mchall

Oct 19, 2011
Hunter 27 Peaks Island
I bought a new genny for my 1981 Hunter from Precision Sails last winter. I got a good off-season price and I'm very pleased with the sail. Like you, my boat is too far away to easily go and take measurements. But I had a tag from the old sail bag that had the measurements on it, so I went with that.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
Definitely give Martin at Sommerset sails a call, 716-795-3952 for a quote. He built my new set of sails for my 1981 H27 3 years ago, great service and price. I also have bought 2 other sets of sails from them in the last 15 years for other boats. Great boat. I installed ac, auto pilot, inverter, charger, ect on mine.

dakno

Jun 22, 2009
Hunter 41DS new orleans
If it hadn't already been done, cut the lower 6" off of the forward divider in the v berth that extends from the cabin top down to 6 - 8" above the cushions. Its only function is to cover the backside of the anchor locker but was made much larger than necessary and it impedes you footwell as is.

Apr 22, 2011
Hunter 27 Pecan Grove, Oriental, NC
Definitely give Martin at Sommerset sails a call, 716-795-3952 for a quote. He built my new set of sails for my 1981 H27 3 years ago, great service and price. I also have bought 2 other sets of sails from them in the last 15 years for other boats. Great boat. I installed ac, auto pilot, inverter, charger, ect on mine.
I don't want to steal your thread, but I would like to ask Dakno a quick question: Where did you install the ac unit in your H27?