1980 Hunter 30 loses Power

Jul 31, 2011
Hunter Hunter 30 Titusville
I have a 1980 Hunter 30 with 2QM15 Yanmar. Starts everytime, but recently will lose power after 20 minutes running and then stop. Upon restart runs maybe 5-10 minutes and stops. Any idea where I should look?
Thanks Peter

RoyS

Jun 3, 2012
Hunter 33 Steamboat Wharf, Hull, MA
Possibly fuel stopped flowing. Check tank vent and filters. Try manually pumping the fuel pump while bleeding the secondary filter and see if flow is continuous. You need to bleed the fuel lines anyway to make sure your problem is not just air in the lines.

Feb 26, 2007
- - Long Beach
Check for a clogged exhaust, maybe get a new mixing elbow. Don't think this is a fuel delivery problem.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Clogged exhaust is probably not the problem. I'd check the fuel vent and filters as Roys suggested. Exhaust clogs don't take 20 minutes to show their effects and then start showing effects after restart in 10 minutes. Those symptoms sound like fuel being sucked from the tank and making more and more vacuum till the pump can't suck fuel to the engine.

SG

Feb 11, 2017
J/Boat J/160 Annapolis
There are several possibilities which come to mind. IF this a new problem, i.e. the engine used to work but now is displaying this loss of power, then I'd check the following:

i) Sometimes a small filter is installed in the intake tube in the tank. It would look like a stainless screen. That may get some particulate in the bottom of the tank sucked into it. The "crud" blocks the line because its being held by the vacuum and the engine stops. Then, after the engine is off for a while, the vacuum breaks, and the crud drops off, the engine starts, and and then the cycles starts over;

ii) You can get this as a symptom which happens always or inconsistently depending on the position of the pick-up tube, the nature of the crud or "gooh of life" in your tank, etc.

The first thing to do, is to take the pick-up tube out and check it. See if there's a filter there. It's possible that there is no filter, but there crud is "plate like" or has built-up so it's close to the bottom of the tube.

Ultimately, you should look into the tank and see what's going on in there. Do you have a Racor initial filter with a bowl? Does the stuff in the bottom fo the bowl shave some particulate? Is the filter picking-up "Stuff"?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
FL Your Yanmar works because it has Fuel to burn, Air to combust the fuel, oil to keep the parts moving, and a Coolant to manage the heat from the combustion. Based on your symptoms one of these essential parts is not there in sufficient volume to kee your engine running.
A SWAG without more info, is Fuel.
So Check it out. Is there enough (empty tank)? Is it getting to the engine (blockage - clogged lines or filter)? Is is clean (filter)? Does it have the necessary components to burn (filled with water - BAD).

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
I had problems of intermittent loss of power on my 3QM30 that went away after replacing the 33 year old on engine fuel pump. That is not an expensive part or a difficult install.
Of course all else needs to be right as well.

Jun 4, 2004
Hunter 340 Forked River, NJ
Likely and intermittent fuel problem of unknown origin. Years ago I had the same boat with the same engine and I had the same problem but it was a one time event that likely does not mirror your issue. I had installed an outboard motor type fuel squeeze bulb along the fuel line to help with priming the filters and bleeding the engine. One of the small plastic valves inside of the squeeze bulb came loose and would temporarily block the fuel flow and stop the engine. A minute later the engine would start and run for a while until the next blockage. I removed the squeeze bulb and could hear the plastic part rattling around when I shook the bulb. Lesson learned.

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
check fuel filters if you have a primary with a water separator see what microns it is maybe to fine. it should be 10 to 20 microns. and it gets clogged. also notice if this happens with a full tank versus a near empty tank there may be debris in the tank and its picking it up when slashing but your filter will tell you that if you find crud in it.