1980 37C mast wiring

Jul 29, 2012
hunter 37 cherubini Apollo Beach
Anyone know of a way to replace mast wiring (anchor light, deck light and underway light) without pulling the mast?

I am told the wiring runs in a channel behind the mainsail channel. To get to it the mainsail channel must be removed and in order to do this the mast must be pulled.

Any idea's?

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
This shows what mine looked like, at least before we had the bottom few inches cut off and a new step installed

Attachments

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
Anyone know of a way to replace mast wiring (anchor light, deck light and underway light) without pulling the mast?

I am told the wiring runs in a channel behind the mainsail channel. To get to it the mainsail channel must be removed and in order to do this the mast must be pulled.

Any idea's?
You are correct - the mast has to be pulled to access the wiring channel. Even then, the mast track can be tricky to remove. As I recall, it is in 3 pieces, which must be tapped out of the mast starting with the bottom-most section. Lots of WD40 / PB Blaster / [your fav miracle spray here] and then screw drivers, followed by wooden blocks tapped with hammers may be applied. Make sure that the mast is well supported and straight. Take your time.

Jul 29, 2012
Thanks Jim, is the masthead plate removable? I'm thinking of dropping 50ft of PVC down through the center and use it as the new chase. Will have to figure out how to support it (side-side) to prevent movement/banging.

tmjb

Mar 13, 2012
Hunter 36C Glen Cove
I don't have an H37 but do have an '81 H36 which I believe has a similar mast that is deck stepped.

I have two thoughts:questions:

Since the wires run in that raceway behind the sail track can you not pull them out/pull a messenger line in as you would with a conduit and thus avoid having to remove the cover?

Has anyone rewired an H36 mast and this knows how the wires run through the below deck compression post, through the deck, into the mast and what the original connection is between these wires and those in the mast for mast removal? I plan to remove my mast in the relatively near future to check, rewire, etc incl repaint.

Jul 29, 2012
No, can't pull through. They go up the channel and make a 90 into the mast and out the exterior......on both ends. Gets caught up

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
If you had the mast down and fully accessible I figure it would be possible to feed new wires in behind the track. While we have the mast down for upcoming work I am going see how easily the existing wires slide, what the condition looks like, and evaluate if I should run in new wires. The services are steaming light, deck light(s) and VHF antenna which don't add up to a very big bundle. We removed a huge old radar that had a bundle of wires running in that same track and were able to just pull them out.
The mast head plate is not removable - see picture.

Attachments

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
When I redid my mast, I installed a AquaSignal 25 steaming/deck forward light. Needed ground (common for both lights) and two hot leads (one for each light). This allowed me to run a single 3 lead cable 14awg up the conduit and out the mast to the light. Find that the "Spreader Lights" are way over rated and blind the helm when lit. Works great when needed. Installed LED's for the bulbs. I always go forward with a personal head lamp with red beam on at night. Rarely use the deck light... Maybe at anchor or in a marina.
You may want to run a second cable up to the mast head for a mast head light (anchor and or tricolor). Then you have the VHF coax. Looking at your image of the channel, my guess you'll have plenty of space.

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
If you had the mast down and fully accessible I figure it would be possible to feed new wires in behind the track. While we have the mast down for upcoming work I am going see how easily the existing wires slide, what the condition looks like, and evaluate if I should run in new wires. The services are steaming light, deck light(s) and VHF antenna which don't add up to a very big bundle. We removed a huge old radar that had a bundle of wires running in that same track and were able to just pull them out.
The mast head plate is not removable - see picture.
I agree John - if all you need are the 3 wires you mention, I think you could pull the wires and avoid removing the sail track. But on my boat I have tricolor, mast head wind instruments, steaming & deck lights, and radar. Once the radar cable joins the wire chase, there is just enough room to fit it all in. That is why I had to remove the track that covers the wire channel.

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
The wires won't pull. They are tied in the channel to relieve the strain from the weight of the wires.