1979 cherubini 37 cutter

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
Going to look at a 1979 Cherubini at the inspection what would you say are the major issues one should look for. I was told this was used for a sailing school in NC. Thanks.
Paul M

Mar 5, 2012
Hunter 37-cutter Saint Augustine
Hello Paul M. I am looking to sell my 82 Cherubini in st. augustine area

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Richmond CA
Bearing in mind that boat is 38 years old original weaknesses are not particularly relevant. It may be well maintained or it may be total junk or somewhere in between. Every time this kind of question is asked the overwhelming opinion is get a survey

Bye the way, we love our HC37

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
I agree... However take a Irwin Ketch 37 they were very prone to deteriorated deck cores. All resulting from poorly bedded deck fittings. Take a hunter 37C and what I have read the original port windows are cheap and cause inside rot. Which is one thing I will be looking at. I am just trying to be as informed as possible. Not all surveyors are the same!

Jun 8, 2004
C&C Frigate 36 St. Margarets Bay, Nova Scotia
In my experience, the predominant issues for any boat this age are core damage from water infiltration, the state of the standing rigging and any steering or rudder issues. The condition of the diesel is also important, but more difficult to judge unless you are a diesel mechanic. A good surveyor will assess the hull, decks and rudder with a moisture meter and 'sounding' with a small hammer. Standing rig is usually judged on age, but crack inspection of the chain plates, turnbuckles, etc. can be done visually and with the help of penetrant dye. You can do a lot of this yourself if you are an experience boat owner and handy, but a good survey is well worth the price. Maybe what you should be asking is for endorsements of good marine surveyors wherever the boat is located...

Read through the owner modifications for the H37 Cutter on this site and also check out these links for some good info from owners who have done extensive renovations:
http://austinsailor.net/upgrades.html
http://hunter37.homestead.com/index.html
http://mathurin2.blogspot.ca/

Last edited:
Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
In my experience, the predominant issues for any boat this age are core damage from water infiltration, the state of the standing rigging and any steering or rudder issues. The condition of the diesel is also important, but more difficult to judge unless you are a diesel mechanic. A good surveyor will assess the hull, decks and rudder with a moisture meter and 'sounding' with a small hammer. Standing rig is usually judged on age, but crack inspection of the chain plates, turnbuckles, etc. can be done visually and with the help of penetrant dye. You can do a lot of this yourself if you are an experience boat owner and handy, but a good survey is well worth the price. Maybe what you should be asking is for endorsements of good marine surveyors in North Carolina...

Read through the owner modifications for the H37 Cutter on this site and also check out these links for some good info from owners who have done extensive renovations:
Got recommendations of surveyors and diesel mechanics and riggers. Thanks for the links most helpful. Cheers

Jun 8, 2004
You're welcome. Let us know if you buy the boat. I maintain a registry for Hunter 37 Cutters that I have been able to verify information on owners, home ports, HINs. etc...would love to add or update the info on this one. Good luck!

Blaise

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 37-cutter Bradenton
As the senior owner of the hunter37, (I bought my boat new Dec 1978) I can tell you everything about this boat. If you would like to call, feel free. 941.518.8815.
Blaise

Mar 5, 2012
Bearing in mind that boat is 38 years old original weaknesses are not particularly relevant. It may be well maintained or it may be total junk or somewhere in between. Every time this kind of question is asked the overwhelming opinion is get a survey

Bye the way, we love our HC37[/QU

Mar 5, 2012
To all you folks ~ get a survey Yes ~but we have a current survey on our Hunter that is for Sale. So come on down and sail the old bones you won't be disappointed. 38 years translation Solid!

dLj

Mar 23, 2017
Belliure 41 Sailing back to the Chesapeake
In my experience, the predominant issues for any boat this age are core damage from water infiltration, the state of the standing rigging and any steering or rudder issues. The condition of the diesel is also important, but more difficult to judge unless you are a diesel mechanic. A good surveyor will assess the hull, decks and rudder with a moisture meter and 'sounding' with a small hammer. Standing rig is usually judged on age, but crack inspection of the chain plates, turnbuckles, etc. can be done visually and with the help of penetrant dye. You can do a lot of this yourself if you are an experience boat owner and handy, but a good survey is well worth the price. Maybe what you should be asking is for endorsements of good marine surveyors wherever the boat is located...

Does anyone have a similar list of links to the Hunter 30's like these? Very nice links, but I'd love to see what folks have done with the 30 as I'm about to embark upon a major restore of one...

dj

Jun 2, 2004
Hunter 37-cutter, '79 41 23' 30"N 82 33' 20"W--------Huron, OH
DJ, you really don't need links. Just go to the top of the page and select "Boat Info". Everything you ever wanted to know about the H30.

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
So I looked at the boat today. A few soft spots in the deck and she will need a new cabin sole, but My question, the keel was broken loose from the hull and had some slight movements in it. The boat yard said it would cost 4000 - 5000 to fix. Dose that sound right or should I be bailing out on this deal? I love the layout and it really dose seem like a solid boat. Thanks Paul M

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
So I looked at the boat today. A few soft spots in the deck and she will need a new cabin sole, but My question, the keel was broken loose from the hull and had some slight movements in it. The boat yard said it would cost 4000 - 5000 to fix. Dose that sound right or should I be bailing out on this deal? I love the layout and it really dose seem like a solid boat. Thanks Paul M
You are posing this as a simple question when it is very complex. Face the fact that whatever you do, it is delusional to believe our HC 37's are worth more than about $25,000 in good condition. (Remember whatever you are doing to the seller, some time in the future a buyers will be doing to you)
Some of us, me included, have boats that we feel can be maintained at a reasonable cost to be safe and usable and not eat your lunch. What that dollar amount is, depends on where you are starting from, what capabilities you have, and how you are going to use your boat.
Last year I replaced all my portlights with NFM Tri max. The material was about $1500. The labor would have been $3,000 to $4,000 or more. I enjoyed doing it.
It is also delusional to believe that boats don't need continuous repairs and upkeep. The instant a bottom job is done the clock is ticking down to the next one, even on a brand new boat that is being splashed for the first time ever.
So if that keel job truly costs $5,000 and results in a keel that is as good as new, and if all the rigging, sails, steering, engine, propulsion, wiring, hull, tankage, plumbing, winches and a whole bunch of other stuff is usable then go for it.
Otherwise move on - and answer all the same questions for the next one..........

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
Ok. I am the buyer and was curious to know if $5000 seemed right for a keel re-bedding. So I don't really care about your port lights our what you paid for them! Have you had to rebed your keel? If so about how much did you spend? One more thing I thought that was a pretty simple question!
You are posing this as a simple question when it is very complex. Face the fact that whatever you do, it is delusional to believe our HC 37's are worth more than about $25,000 in good condition. (Remember whatever you are doing to the seller, some time in the future a buyers will be doing to you)
Some of us, me included, have boats that we feel can be maintained at a reasonable cost to be safe and usable and not eat your lunch. What that dollar amount is, depends on where you are starting from, what capabilities you have, and how you are going to use your boat.
Last year I replaced all my portlights with NFM Tri max. The material was about $1500. The labor would have been $3,000 to $4,000 or more. I enjoyed doing it.
It is also delusional to believe that boats don't need continuous repairs and upkeep. The instant a bottom job is done the clock is ticking down to the next one, even on a brand new boat that is being splashed for the first time ever.
So if that keel job truly costs $5,000 and results in a keel that is as good as new, and if all the rigging, sails, steering, engine, propulsion, wiring, hull, tankage, plumbing, winches and a whole bunch of other stuff is usable then go for it.
Otherwise move on - and answer all the same questions for the next one..........

Johnb

Jan 22, 2008
No, I have not had a keel re bedded, but I have scheduled to have the keel bolts torqued (in preparation for cruising) and face the possibility that one or more might break off or just turn inside the keel. At that point I am prepared to pay whatever it is to fix it (maybe) because I know the condition of the rest of the boat.
Bear in mind $5000, after the cost of hauling and a bottom job (could be needed once you have been out the water) may only buy you 30 to 40 hours labor, and that can be used up very quickly, especially if you don't know the root cause of the keel being loose. Fact is, you don't know, I don't know, and most likely the boatyard doesn't know.
You also asked "Dose that sound right or should I be bailing out on this deal?" and that is a complex question. Anyone who will answer that with complete confidence is probably untrustworthy.
I wish you luck, if you can get a HC 37 in good usable condition it is a great boat, us owners love them.

Mar 5, 2012
As I said mine is ready to go anywhere. as John B. put it there a lot out there. fixer uppers as was my boat when I got her. the math on a boat its simple multiplication the bigger the boat. a 20 ft boat its a 300 fix on a 30 ft boat its 3000 dollars on a 40 ft boat its 6000 k. as a rule B.brake o_Out A.another T. thousand

Jun 8, 2004
$5000 to rebed the keel, if that involves unbolting, dropping, cleaning, prepping, re-attaching and re-torquing, is probably not unreasonable. However, this is the first time I have ever heard of a H37C keel needing re-bedding. They were put together like Fort Knox according to John Cherubini II. What makes you think it needs re-bedding? Did the surveyor recommend it?

Jun 18, 2017
Hunter 37 Cherubini USVI
Yes, the keel to hull was loose!we could move the keel and you could see the water seeping out! The boat yard owner and boat build also looked at and was shocked as well! I always had a full keel that was incapsalated so I am unsure!
As I said mine is ready to go anywhere. as John B. put it there a lot out there. fixer uppers as was my boat when I got her. the math on a boat its simple multiplication the bigger the boat. a 20 ft boat its a 300 fix on a 30 ft boat its 3000 dollars on a 40 ft boat its 6000 k. as a rule B.brake o_Out A.another T. thousand
I agree... This boat is in decent shape and way
$5000 to rebed the keel, if that involves unbolting, dropping, cleaning, prepping, re-attaching and re-torquing, is probably not unreasonable. However, this is the first time I have ever heard of a H37C keel needing re-bedding. They were put together like Fort Knox according to John Cherubini II. What makes you think it needs re-bedding? Did the surveyor recommend it?