Registered users don't see ads

1978 O'Day 30' prop question

Discussion in 'Ask An Oday Owner' started by Meis, Feb 27, 2018. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Meis

Meis

Joined Jul 21, 2005
    5 posts, 0 likes
    Oday 30
    US Peoria, IL
    I have recently purchased a 1978 30' O'Day with a recently rebuilt 12HP Yanmar marine diesel engine. Looking to change from 2 blade fixed to three blade prop. Any insight on what I need to look for? Current prop vibrates and gives very little push. Just need a bit more thrust with the small engine. Ideas?

2. Tally Ho

Tally Ho

Joined Jan 7, 2011
    1,019 posts, 139 likes
    Oday 322
    US East Chicago, IN
    Best bet would be to contact a prop seller and give the specifics on you boat and engine. They can tell you the correct size of prop. Pitch, etc..

Greg

3. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin

Joined Aug 23, 2016
    31 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Chula Vista
    Does your engine happen to be a YSM12? I just purchased a West by North Campbell Sailor LH 3-blade fixed prop for my 1979 Hunter 30 with the YSM12 (http://www.westbynorth.com/). Unfortunately I've been having engine issues and haven't really been able to try it out. I posted a similar question to yours on the Hunter Owner's forum and got several recommendations for this prop. I spent close to $600 including shipping, and they were able to make it in a few weeks. Supposedly it's an excellent combination of good thrust, low propwalk, and low drag. I will say that I still have significant propwalk. Like Greg says, if you call them and give them your engine info they figure out a good prop. And if it doesn't work well they can re-pitch it (of course you have to send it to Canada, and I think there's a fee for re-pitching). I filled out the online request with all the info I knew, then called the next day.
    By the way, if I can find a decent 2GM20 I might be interested in selling a very lightly used left-hand prop...

Ben

4. Ben Jammin

Ben Jammin

Joined Aug 23, 2016
    31 posts, 4 likes
    Hunter 30
    US Chula Vista

5. Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes

Joined Dec 31, 2016
    2 posts, 0 likes
    O'Day 30
    CA St. Margaret's Bay
    Did you ever determine the correct prop for your ODay 30? We have a 78 Oday 30 with a YSM 12 as well. Ours came with a 3 blade fixed and I suspect it is too much prop for the boat. We get black soot at high rpm and or under heavy sea, and I’m lucky to get 5 knots of boat speed at full throttle in flat water.

6. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    Key is determining what was original. The 28 with a Universal M-12 engine is two blade and pushes it faster than 5, closer to 6 at full throttle. I don't get smoke until at full or briefly when accelerating. At 80% throttle no smoke. Often well meaning experiments with non original props work out badly, so my view is caution on this subject.

7. Tom Hughes

Tom Hughes

Joined Dec 31, 2016
    2 posts, 0 likes
    O'Day 30
    CA St. Margaret's Bay
    Thanks, I agree on the non original prop. Unfortunately I am the victim of a previous owner. The 30 came stock with a 2 blade fixed and I bought the boat with a fixed 3 blade, so it has already been changed. I’ll do a little more research and see if I can find the correct size and pitch, worst case I’ll ask the professionals. I was hoping someone already had the answer.

8. odaydokay

odaydokay

Joined Jul 5, 2011
    292 posts, 16 likes
    Oday 28
    US Madison, CT
    Rudi at D&R might have access to that info as he was the parts manager for O'Day. If not, he can probably send you to someone with the info and the prop.

Winch covers
Any brand, every size, any color!
Teak companionway doors
Amazing artisan quality, custom made to fit your boat.
Leaky Lewmar ports?
Start by replacing lens gaskets in stock now
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.