1978 H27

Oct 8, 2017
Beneteau Oceanis 473 Portland
Does anyone know if the factory used racks or trailers to deliver these boats , I know there is a different name for these . But it completely escapes me while I write this . I'm having a really difficult time trying to find and or justify buying a trailer for my boat but since I already have a flatbed 10 k trailer I figured I could build a rack and have the boat loaded onto the rack on my trailer then when done with the rack just take it off and store just the rack .

Jan 22, 2008
Islander Freeport, 41 Ketch Longmont, CO
they called them cradles, the Crazy Dave can probably provide details on what options were available and can give invaluable info on trailering your boat. My H25 and H28 both had trailers in Colorado, not sure how they might have been originally delivered to the coasts.

The biggest issues with a cradle mounted on a trailer is the extra depth required to launch and the safety factor of not having a purpose built trailer. If you are only moving about the boat yard not an issue however, I've seen many warnings from members hear about trying to use a cradle mounted on a trailer to haul boats long distances.

Good luck

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Most delivery cradles for boats of that era were made of wood and are probably long gone. Any boat on an cradle now is likely on a 'generic' one with adjustable legs. Someone with one would be able to give distances between legs and heights of the pads.