1977 O'Day 25 - Steering...

Aug 11, 2017
O'Day 25 Alexandria, VA
Good morning, all knowledgeable O'Day owners! I am hoping someone has the answer to my question!

Question: Why is this boat impossible to get out of slip and fairway? If there isn't any power, she just doesn't respond, and once she does, it's on a delayed reaction and with a narrow fairway, it's usually too late and turns into a mess! It takes at least three of us to get out. I've only noticed no power, no steering on two other occasions on the water.

Background: She just came out for inspection, power wash and hull paint job. She looks great, found nothing wrong with centerboard, pin, rudder - bonus - no hull blisters either!

There's a four year old Yamaha 9.9, which unfortunately was mounted in a fix position, so we can't for the life of us figure out how to use the engine to steer us out of the slip.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!

Last edited:
Jun 29, 2010
Beneteau First 235 Lake Minnetonka, MN
Well you need the boat to be moving and water passing over the rudder for steerage. Not sure what you mean by "If there isn't any power". Mine never turned very well under motor or sail so maybe it's just the way the boat is. Slow tacking for sure, I was on a mooring so wasn't constrained by a slip situation. Get the boat moving and water over that rudder. Maybe once you get it out in clear water, practice maneuvering the boat under motor.

sdstef

Jan 31, 2013
Hunter 28 Branched Oak Lake
I had 77 model 25 cb. I never had a problem backing out of my slip or backing down the fairway. It would be beneficial if you could turn the motor when you turn the tiller, but try giving a little blast of throttle to get her moving then back off to a safe speed. Rudder will not respond unless you are making way, even 1/2 knot of speed

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
There's a four year old Yamaha 9.9, which unfortunately was mounted in a fix position
Since you can't turn the motor you need to be moving in order for the rudder to work, as the others have said. I've found I can almost pivot the boat if I put the center board all the way down. Even part way down helps me to turn sharper at low speeds.
There is a way to use a line to help pivot your boat into the fairway. I saw a boat do it once in our marina. Maybe someone with more experience in boat handling that I have can walk you through it.

Jun 6, 2006
currently boatless wishing Harrington Harbor North, MD
Welcome to the world of inboard motors. Yea, get some water flowing over the rudder and that rudder needs something to push against. My keel is stuck in the down position so don't have the option to raise it but thinking leaving it up would make steering very difficult. As Ward said there are lots of "rope trick" that can assist getting away from the slip. most involve having a line going from the boat and looping around a bollard/cleat located at a strategic location and then back to the boat so you can cast it off on side and recover the line once you are finished. Do consider using lines and the motor thrust to "walk the boat". My favorite is getting off a dock when the other boats have parked really close to me fore and aft (the pump out or gas dock). Start with having a line looped around a cleat on the dock near the bow. take both ends of the line to the bow of the boat and secure one while holding the other. Motor forward against the line (don't forget the fenders as the boat will touch the dock) holding the boat from going forward. The motor and dock cleat are not lined up so the stern gets pushed out. Once the stern has cleared the boat astern you can reverse, cast off the line at the bow in your hand and recover it and you are on your way. don't forget to sound your sound signals as you may be entering a fairway and they will not see you coming out.
good luck

Jan 22, 2008
Oday 25 Centerport , NY
Good morning, all knowledgeable O'Day owners! I am hoping someone has the answer to my question!

Question: Why is this boat impossible to get out of slip and fairway? If there isn't any power, she just doesn't respond, and once she does, it's on a delayed reaction and with a narrow fairway, it's usually too late and turns into a mess! It takes at least three of us to get out. I've only noticed no power, no steering on two other occasions on the water.

Background: She just came out for inspection, power wash and hull paint job. She looks great, found nothing wrong with centerboard, pin, rudder - bonus - no hull blisters either!

There's a four year old Yamaha 9.9, which unfortunately was mounted in a fix position, so we can't for the life of us figure out how to use the engine to steer us out of the slip.

Any suggestions are welcome! Thank you!
We have an extremely narrow fairway and a tight slip. When the wind is adverse, blowing against the side, it makes it difficult to maneuver in close quarters due to the high freeboard of this model. On our '76 OD25 I've learned to drop the centerboard all the way and coordinate steering the motor AND using the rudder going forward and backing, with critical throttle blasts if necessary. I'll admit it gets tricky sometimes! If you can't steer the motor it's very difficult to turn this boat. Don't understand how the motor on yours could be mounted in a "fixed" position: you should be able to steer it with the motor's tiller---is there a steering tension screw or steering lock mechanism on your motor that you could adjust so your motor will swivel? Most motors have this feature. Good luck.