1976 Catalina 22 Cleaning and Refurbishing to Sail

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
Thank you. That would be great. I am about 23 miles from Purcell, roughly 25 minutes. I would prefer meeting at a public place, hope it's not to much to ask..

Dec 6, 2016
Beneteau 352 Moorings Cape Coral FL
an old sailor once told me that CRUISING just means that YOU ARE FIXING YOUR BOAT in exotic locations
we found this to be true and we found the fixing of our first boat a Catalina 22 was a good start to cruising.... each boat after gets easierdog days.JPG

Dec 6, 2016
Beneteau 352 Moorings Cape Coral FL
C22-Daydreamer, and all
The thing is that if you can fix one thing, you can or will be able to fix most things. When you are actually out cruising in the normal places that most sailors go you will find that the majority of the people you meet will be highly skilled. This 76 cat22 project shows what pride and a little work can do.

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
I have found that I really enjoyed the process of restoration. This is not something I will be doing for profit but for the shear pleasure doing the work.

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
Daydreamer,
That sounds like a good idea but I am only off on Monday. I will send you a personal message so this doesn't seem like a hijacked thread.... I love restoring boats and I tend to take more pleasure in the build, but I hate seeing one of my builds being neglected and it hurts to know how much time you put in and knowing that someone else just doesn't care. Hell I even learned to sew just to do my own interior, sail rite on YouTube makes it easier for sure!

Jun 15, 2016
Couldn't resist posting. Here at the heart of Oklahoma. Then next Tuesday I'll post a picture of me sailing on Lake Thunderbird.
FB_IMG_1483727395218.jpg

Sep 30, 2013
1988 Catalina 22 North Florida
I have found that I really enjoyed the process of restoration. This is not something I will be doing for profit but for the shear pleasure doing the work.
I freakin' HATE the work. It's the damn ladder! Up the ladder, down the ladder, up the ladder, down the ladder, up the ladder, down the ladder ... ad nauseam.

But I sure do love the results! ;)

I told my wife, if I ever were to restore another boat (which I hope I never do), the first thing I'd do is build a wooden platform all the way around it, complete with a little shed where every tool I own would be kept for the duration of the project. If it took two weeks to build, it would be worth it.

Jun 15, 2016
I freakin' HATE the work. It's the damn ladder! Up the ladder, down the ladder, up the ladder, down the ladder, up the ladder, down the ladder ... ad nauseam.

But I sure do love the results! ;)

I told my wife, if I ever were to restore another boat (which I hope I never do), the first thing I'd do is build a wooden platform all the way around it, complete with a little shed where every tool I own would be kept for the duration of the project. If it took two weeks to build, it would be worth it.
I built a rolling table I could move around to where I needed it. Bought a watertight tool box to hold all the tools I needed and set it on the table. Really helped to not make so many trips up and down. It also doubled as a platform.

Jun 15, 2016
Haven't posted here in a while. So here's an update. Was hoping to redo the keel this last winter but couldn't devote the time it would take to do it right so maybe next year. It's solid enough. I would like to just to get it smooth so it would be more hydrodynamic.

All my projects have been small ones detail stuff. Mostly re-bedding screws and getting the interior buttoned up so that when it rains I don't get a couple of gallons of water added to the bilge area. I finally discovered some water came through the windows but mostly came in from under the rub rail where there were some 200 or more holes drilled more than what was there to hold the old rub rail in place. Filled them with 5200 and added an upgraded rub rail. Got a great deal from CD half price for 9 pieces. Only needed 8 though. They had been garage sale items because of some damage scratches and were bent unevenly. But the ones I got weren't noticeably damaged at all save one piece. That one I only used part of. Those parts were straight. Anyway, I'm still waiting on the rubber part.

Since I was waiting I decided to re-bed the window frames and apply tint to the windows. Completed that today. I took each one apart one window at a time. Cleaned everything, applied the tint, reused the old rubber, put them all back together applied butyl tape to the frame and placed them back into their openings. I took my time and did it over four days time devoting each day to one window at a time. I spent probably 4 to 5 hrs on each on. Really tedious but this was something I didn't want to mess up on. I'm quite satisfied with the results. Once the rub rail comes in (the rubber part) I'll be starting on the interior lights. And the solar vent. Here's some pics.
FB_IMG_1491520884712.jpg

The old rub rail removed. All the holes filled at the joint between the deck and hull.
FB_IMG_1493005530898.jpg

Getting new rub rail tracks put in place.
FB_IMG_1493005541929.jpg

The new track is about twice as wide as the original.
FB_IMG_1493005522121.jpg

First window done.
FB_IMG_1493005513618.jpg

Second window done.
FB_IMG_1493005504771.jpg

Third window complete.
FB_IMG_1493006973015.jpg

All windows tinted and resealed.
IMG_1492985441814.jpg

Still waiting on the rubber for the rub rail. Next will be interior lights and solar vent.

Mar 20, 2015
C&C 30 Mk1 Winnipeg
Looks good !
Big difference in the deadlights/windows, before and after. :)
What did you use to clean the frames ?

Jun 15, 2016
Looks good !
Big difference in the deadlights/windows, before and after. :)
What did you use to clean the frames ?
I went to Autozone. Bought aluminum wheel polish spray. Then scrubbed with steel wool. Then sprayed down with Windex and wiped clean.

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Watch being too abrasive with aluminum, the yucky looking anodized coating actually protects it from literally dissolving away from salt and exposure.

dzl

Jun 23, 2016
Catalina 22 Trailer
That looks really nice! I can't tell from the picture if you trimmed it down and ran it behind the trim piece it it's just cut flush.. if it's just flush you may need to put a screw in the end of the rubber to keep it from shrinking back...

Jun 15, 2016
Finally decided to place my solar vent. I really didn'twant to put a nearly 4" hole in the deck so I placed it in the sliding hatch sacrificing the amount the hatch will open. I don't open all the way most of the time anyway. Here's a couple of pics.
FB_IMG_1493870878391.jpg
FB_IMG_1493871145125.jpg