1976 Catalina 22 Cleaning and Refurbishing to Sail

Jun 15, 2016
Catalina 22 Lake Thunderbird
Niiiice!

So that water was coming right through the hull, like you mentioned in post 103 above??
There were two possible places, the volcano or that area of cracks on the hull just below the waterline. Since I repaired both I was hopeful this would be the outcome. Very satisfying to see it dry.

Jun 15, 2016
Haven't posted here in a while. Haven't done any work since fixing the leak. Just went out sailing every chance I've had. A couple of things I accomplished was to add the Catalina 22 logo to the sides of the boat. Took a photo of the bilge while out on a sail. Was nice to see her completely dry. Decided on a name for the her. Although not official yet (Haven't painted her name on the hull) she's named "Just One More Thing" or maybe "Columbo". So I'll post some photos and videos. Here are some recent pics.
FB_IMG_1480651477807.jpg

The Catalina 22 logo.
FB_IMG_1480651531182.jpg

Just another beautiful day in the heart of Oklahoma.
FB_IMG_1480651512216.jpg

Spotted a Great Grey Heron on the point of a cove while cruising around Lake Thunderbird.
FB_IMG_1480652515837.jpg

The mainsail that came with the boat was is functional. It's appearance is not so good. Has a couple of small rips in it, some stains, and blackened aluminum marks that would be really hard to remove. At some point I wanted to get a proper Catalina Yachts mainsail but they are expensive, around $800.00. So I was looking on ebay and found a Catalina Yachts mainsail for a Catalina 22 for sale. They were asking $309.00 including shipping. It was used and had some staining but otherwise looked okay. It was missing the battens as well. Anyway, I bought it. I used a secret elixir of cleaning agents and our washing machine to clean it up. It turned out better than I expected it to. Now it looks like a nearly new sail. I then spent a little more money and bought new numbers to put on it and ordered new battens as well. This was an additional $52.00. Bringing the total to $361.00. The first mate's already said more money down the drain. I like getting good deals though. I'm happy with how it turned out.
FB_IMG_1480651407850.jpg

On my first solo getting ready to load the boat on the trailer.
FB_IMG_1480651498463.jpg

More beautiful days of sailing.
FB_IMG_1480651373601.jpg

With the sun setting and cooler weather it's time to head in for the evening.
FB_IMG_1480651505188.jpg

Dry bilge after nearly 8 hours of sailing.
FB_IMG_1480651472013.jpg

Adding the new numbers. After peeling off the old ones the fun part was cleaning off the adhesive.

Last edited:
May 11, 2014
Catalina 22 Lake Pleasant, AZ
Nice photos and videos. Good looking boat - cleanest bilge ever! And good for you for getting out there and sailing! I always try to make sure that I'm sailing a whole lot more than putzing with my boat in the boatyard. I enjoy doing both, but I enjoy sailing a whole lot more. Thanks for sharing!

Jun 15, 2016
You have done a great job on your boat!
I noticed you live in Purcell. I was raised there, corner of N 4th and Harrison.
I am from Greentown, Indiana originally. My wife was raised in Purcell. We met in Indiana about thirty years ago. We moved out here about four years ago to take care of her parents.

Sep 2, 2016
Catalina 22 Juneau, AK
Thank you so much for the incredible posts! Back in September we purchased a Catalina 22 (Hull No. 6086), and your transformation is definitely an inspiration. Your to-do list also looks very familiar.

Couple of quick questions (apologies if I missed the answers somewhere in the threads):
  • What size Tohatsu did you get? We're thinking about the 6HP SailPro. Did you hook up the electrical charging system and, if so, how's it working for you?
  • Where did you locate plans for your gin pole?
  • How did you secure the battery box to the hull in the bilge?
  • Your cushions look awesome. Where did you find them?
Thanks again, and enjoy the sailing!

Jun 15, 2016
Thank you so much for the incredible posts! Back in September we purchased a Catalina 22 (Hull No. 6086), and your transformation is definitely an inspiration. Your to-do list also looks very familiar.

Couple of quick questions (apologies if I missed the answers somewhere in the threads):
  • What size Tohatsu did you get? We're thinking about the 6HP SailPro. Did you hook up the electrical charging system and, if so, how's it working for you?
  • Where did you locate plans for your gin pole?
  • How did you secure the battery box to the hull in the bilge?
  • Your cushions look awesome. Where did you find them?
Thanks again, and enjoy the sailing!
I purchased the 8 hp Tohatsu with the electric start included. It is heavier than the sail pro 6 hp. But the price was almost the same as the sail pro 6 when you added the electrical components. Plus I believe you would also have to install it yourself. I haven't used it enough yet to know how well it's charging. I also need to get a more heavy duty motor mount for it. The original that came with the boat is not strong enough to lift the motor without strenuous effort. The sail pro 6 would not have this issue. Even though I lake sail I like having the extra power if need be. Most of the guys here on the forum really like the sail pro 6. Part of me wishes I would have bought that one because it's lighter and easier to handle.

•Where did you locate plans for your gin pole?
http://50.6.192.51/tips-GinPole.html
This is a great little article on how to make one.

•How did you secure the battery box to the hull in the bilge?
The box included a strap that had a couple of brackets that screwed into the hull

•Your cushions look awesome. Where did you find them?
They came with the boat. Fortunately the PO had them stored in his cottage along with the sails when the boat had filled with the water and mildew formed on everything in the cabin. I think they are original to the sailboat.

Dec 21, 2016
Catalina C22 Trailer sailor
Daydreamer,

Did you ever get to work on your keel? I live in Oklahoma also and would love to meet up, I am new to sailing and a new owner of a 76. I have a lot of updates to do like replace the old mast step and so on.

Jun 15, 2016
Daydreamer,

Did you ever get to work on your keel? I live in Oklahoma also and would love to meet up, I am new to sailing and a new owner of a 76. I have a lot of updates to do like replace the old mast step and so on.
Not yet. Will be working on it sometime around February I hope. I still have a number things to do to mine too. I took some short cuts so I could try it out on the water before the end of the season this year. Plus I have some other things to take care of besides the boat that need my attention. I'll be putting work the boat on hold until those things are dealt with. So what area are you in I sail at Lake Thunderbird mostly but plan to sail all around the state eventually.

Dec 21, 2016
Daydreamer,

Happy Holidays. I live in the twister capital Moore, Oklahoma. I mostly power boat until recently, the last year in a half I got into sailing and loved it so much I went out and got me a C 22. I plan on sailing everywhere I get a chance to and hopefully some day take it to Gulfport, MS. and sail the Mississippi Barrier Islands. I know theses C 22's are more than capable of doing as when I was stationed there I would see these little C 22 always going out the bays. My rig still needs some work as I don't have any sails yet and I feel I should do some safety updates first like replacing the mast step and upgrade the chainplate eyebolts and etc. I hope to have it on the water this spring.

Dec 21, 2016
Daydreamer I load and unload at Clear Bay Area off of HWY 9 when I go to Thunderbird. Where do you launch from?

Jun 15, 2016
Daydreamer I load and unload at Clear Bay Area off of HWY 9 when I go to Thunderbird. Where do you launch from?
I'm still learning the area. I've put in on the north side at the 108th St. ramp and the 132nd St. ramp. Next year I'm going to look into a membership at the sailing club. Maybe get a slip.

Dec 21, 2016
Daydreamer,
Do you think there is a chance I can meet up with you and trace the shape of your dinette table on a piece of cardboard? I bought mine without one.

Jun 15, 2016
Daydreamer,
Do you think there is a chance I can meet up with you and trace the shape of your dinette table on a piece of cardboard? I bought mine without one.
Yeah, I've got my boat all packed up for the winter but I could get the table out. We could meet somewhere. How far are you from Purcell?