1973 Catalina 22 winch handle ???

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Happy to help. Best of luck. Keep us informed of your progress.:)

Oct 22, 2014
You should see what they want to charge for the handle!

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
They're pretty simple, you might get lucky with a local machine shop... take in a picture or mock one up with a piece of hardwood. But, here's my two cents. Next time you see the 2 for 1 Lewmar winch sale at WM.... invest $500 in a set of self tailing size 15's..... OEM equipment in old production boats isn't really worth much.... especially if they aren't useable.

I have two pair of Barlow (aussie) standard winches.... both sets are two speed... the smaller set, used as halyard winches.... would be perfect swap out for your gear. I'll sell you the two winches and toss in a couple of handles for $150.

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
No problem Steve. Just struck me as humorous. Gave me a :biggrin:

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I was at BaconSails.com store yesterday, and they had at least 5 handles like the pic in post 7, some in brass/bronze, plus some winches. I could not tell by post 7 what the locking mechanism was.

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
They're pretty simple, you might get lucky with a local machine shop... take in a picture or mock one up with a piece of hardwood. But, here's my two cents. Next time you see the 2 for 1 Lewmar winch sale at WM.... invest $500 in a set of self tailing size 15's..... OEM equipment in old production boats isn't really worth much.... especially if they aren't useable.

I have two pair of Barlow (aussie) standard winches.... both sets are two speed... the smaller set, used as halyard winches.... would be perfect swap out for your gear. I'll sell you the two winches and toss in a couple of handles for $150.
I READ THIS POST TOO LATE!!!!
I would have accepted that offer!!!

I just agreed to buy two Barlow Australian winches and a handle from a local junker once he rebuilds them. He’s already missed the date for delivery this past Monday. I’ve since told him to take his time and agreed to receive them by weeks end.
If he doesn’t call me by Monday evening, I’ll take you up on the offer . . . if you still want to sell them! ?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I READ THIS POST TOO LATE!!!!
I would have accepted that offer!!!

I just agreed to buy two Barlow Australian winches and a handle from a local junker once he rebuilds them. He’s already missed the date for delivery this past Monday. I’ve since told him to take his time and agreed to receive them by weeks end.
If he doesn’t call me by Monday evening, I’ll take you up on the offer . . . if you still want to sell them! ?
If you are going to upgrade, why (no disrespect to Joe) go from one defunct winch company to another? Barlow has been dead for a long time and parts are getting harder and harder to find. I know Arco still tries to support them, but still.

pateco

Aug 12, 2014
Hunter 31 (1983) Pompano Beach FL
Barlow has been dead for a long time and parts are getting harder and harder to find. I know Arco still tries to support them, but still.
Don't I know it. LOL
2018-07-27 17.54.24.jpg