1973 Catalina 22 winch handle ???

Oct 13, 2008
Hunter 1989 Lake Hefner, OKC
I just purchased a 1973 Catalina 22 and there is no winch handle with the boat. It obviously requires a winch handle design that I am not familiar with. I would like to find a use one. If that is not possible how would I obtain a used one.
PS: What is the name of the winch/particularly the "winch handle" typically found on the 1973 production model Catalina 22?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I can understand how a boat owner can believe that the hardware on a boat could be specific to the boat, but winches are not. Winches are what was available to either the Manufacturer, or desired by the original owners or changed by a boat owner. So the handles are specific to the manufacture of the winch.
What is the name on the winch? Can you post a picture of the winch with focus on the top opening where you insert the handle?

Here is a link in this forum that may help.
https://shop.sailboatowners.com/search.php?brand=sailboat&kw=Winch+handle+

May 25, 2004
Hunter 25.5 Panama City, FL
Is it a slip-in winch handle? I had a 1972 sailboat with that type winch and handle. I have seen these on e-bay.

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
What does the socket on top of the winch look like. Why don't you google "sailboat winch handle" and see if one looks like it would fit. And do yourself a favor, have more than one winch handle on your boat....
AFIK Catalina always installed standard winch fittings.. starting with the Aussie
made Barient and Barlow types to other UK and American made pieces, such as Lewmar and Harken. They all use the same configuration.. and eight point socket.

gdudik

Oct 25, 2017
Catalina 22 Vancouver, WA
My 73 C-22 has “side entry” handles for bronze winches. Winch handle inserts into a slot on the side of a disc on top of the winch. Have to press a tab on top to slide handle back out. I have no reason to believe that they are not original, considering the condition of both winches and handles. No idea who the manufacturer is. I’ll get a picture next time I’m down at the marina.

Edit: I bet this is what you’re after. Mine are similar:
https://m.ebay.com/itm/Slip-in-Winch-Handle-/183280758658

Oct 22, 2014
@gdudik. Pictures would be interesting. Not sure I have seen such a winch/handle system.

Oct 22, 2014
@gdudik doing a search of old boat stuff I came across a:
"Vintage Merriman Sailboat Winch Handle Chrome Over Bronze"
Perhaps this is what you are searching for?
Vintage-Merriman-Sailboat-Winch-Handle-Chrome-Over-Bronze.jpg

Last edited:
Apr 22, 2016
Catalina 22 Folsom Lake
Hi Steve!
I am in your spot. March of ‘73 boat #2130 with original winches that have no handle. Heard the handles can be bought, but the store web site indicates they are out of stock.
D55F7452-9491-40F7-8FFD-E9FB6BA51147.jpeg
A2B49185-0F6A-45F2-993D-4D8C92EEB584.jpeg

I just purchased a 1973 Catalina 22 and there is no winch handle with the boat. It obviously requires a winch handle design that I am not familiar with. I would like to find a use one. If that is not possible how would I obtain a used one.
PS: What is the name of the winch/particularly the "winch handle" typically found on the 1973 production model Catalina 22?

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
I'll look at Bacons, but a pic from overhead of the working end would help.

Oct 13, 2008
Thank you all for your replies! I have been out of pocket. I will have photos later; but, it looks like you guys are all over this problem of mine for which I am greatly appreciative.
Thank you all again!
I'll get back soon
Steve

Oct 22, 2014
They are serious metal.. Don't drop overboard. They will swim like a brick.
Usually doing the back stroke... Saying ... Bye Bye.

Oct 13, 2008
Sacto Dave,
Thank you, obviously, now, I do not comprise some alternate reality as suggested by another on this thread. Sometimes there is a kind of consistency occuring that can be expected; thank you for the public validation!
I have photos on my "1973 Catalina" that are similar to yours. I just need to find out what your source is. You seem to suggest that there is a particular
IMG_2224.JPG
chandlery you've consulted. After you have secured yours, let me know as I would like to do the same. In the interim, I may try my luck with ebay. I don't know how to precisely describe, in words, without pictures, the name of the winch I require. (I may have overlooked that detail found somewhere along the length of this thread; a little help in that regard will be appreciated!)
Thank you,
SteveIMG_2226.JPG IMG_2223.JPG

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Try Google search for "Merriman winch handle"

Here's a legit company that sells them, click on the pic for link:

REMEMBER.... GET TWO! (for back up when you lose one overboard)

Last edited:
Oct 13, 2008
jssailem,
I just now contacted rigrite. They said they would get back to me. They are out of stock and had to do a search???
Thank you for the link,
Steve