1973 Catalina 22 restoration winter project

Sep 29, 2012
Catalina 22 Clucluz Lake, BC
I think this thread has finally reached its climax. This weekend I launched the Dutch Rudder and moored it at the PG Sailing Association's docks. I forgot to take a picture of the sliding galley all painted and pretty but I'll do that later.

I added a few layers of fibreglass to compensate for the boring and upgraded the ball valve to brass.

The sliding hatch was really tough to close so I made a handle to help out.

At the lake I beefed up the sinking dock and finished off the boom topping lift. I still have a lot more to figure out before I really start sailing but it feels great to finally have her in the water.

Next winter I'll add an electric panel and probably a bilge pump and stereo... and likely a new mainsail with some reef points. But in the mean time I just want to have some fun.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Bravo! She looks great! Now, you get to play with rigging her and fitting her out to fit your lifestyle! It is fun.

Thanks,

Andrew

Dec 5, 2011
Catalina Catalina 22 13632 Phenix City
Beautiful work!! She's a classic that I'm sure will turn heads every where you take her. I've the feeling some hard core racer some where is going to make you an offer you can't refuse.

jhat

Mar 17, 2014
Catalina 22 Green Bay
New to this thread but what happened to the pictures? I would really like to see the project.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Catalina 22 South Lake Tahoe
Wow great job! That babby is like new.

My boat is number 2348 and also has the yellow top nonskid, mine is yellow on the hull sides with brown stripes..

Our boats could verry well have been born side by side and sprayed in the same batch.

Sep 29, 2012
I suppose I could add some new pictures. This winter I've bought some new sails, rigged a proper mainsheet outhaul, a boom vang, reoriented the tiller lock and I'm about to install an electric panel so that the lights will work.

Wow great job! That babby is like new.

My boat is number 2348 and also has the yellow top nonskid, mine is yellow on the hull sides with brown stripes..

Our boats could verry well have been born side by side and sprayed in the same batch.
Thats pretty cool. Do your cockpit seat compartment lids open and close as poorly as mine? I still need to do something different with the hinges to make them work better.

New to this thread but what happened to the pictures? I would really like to see the project.
All of the images are still working from what I can see. I uploaded them with photo bucket and then linked them to various posts in this 7 page thread. I have no idea why they wouldn't display for someone else.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
My cockpit hatches work quite nice, my foreword deck hatch needs some new hinge love tho..
Heres a shot of hull #2348 in all her yellow glory.....

Again verry nice job on the refit and super cool to see one of my close sister boats in such great shape.

Feb 24, 2014
1978 Catalina 22 Lake of the Woods, Ont
I suppose I could add some new pictures. This winter I've bought some new sails, rigged a proper mainsheet outhaul, a boom vang, reoriented the tiller lock and I'm about to install an electric panel so that the lights will work.
You've done an amazing job on your boat.
Do you have lines run aft for the jib and main halliard? I want to rig our new boat this way but don't know if I need to have a winch for both?

Oct 2, 2011
Catalina 22 Folsom
Man, I bet summer can't get here fast enough for you. Really nice job!

Last edited:

kb3pgo

Jan 20, 2014
Clark Boats San Juan 28 Watkins Glen
I also have a 1973, but she don't look so good. I am trying to fix her up, and I thank you for the inspiration with yours. Looks awsome.

Sep 29, 2012
You've done an amazing job on your boat.
Do you have lines run aft for the jib and main halliard? I want to rig our new boat this way but don't know if I need to have a winch for both?
Thanks, I bought the Catalina Direct kit for running those lines aft. No need for winches. Along the port side I also installed the downhaul kit for the head sail.

Feb 24, 2014
1978 Catalina 22 Lake of the Woods, Ont
Thanks, I bought the Catalina Direct kit for running those lines aft. No need for winches. Along the port side I also installed the downhaul kit for the head sail.
Looks good. So is the consensus that a winch is not required for the jib and main halyards? If it's not then that would save me some $$$$

Sep 29, 2012
Here are the few improvements and additions from this winter. Mainsheet outhaul, tiller lock mounted upside down, and working electrical. Most of the original wiring still worked and some new wires had been added but don't seem to go anywhere so it was a bit confusing. The dome lights are mostly original (I had to wire a new switch into one) but the rest were no longer onboard or had fallen apart back when I stripped the boat.

I have some new Ullman sails as well, I purchased a 110% jib and full batten main through CD last fall when they were offering a discount. After doing some more reading I think maybe I should have bought the 2+2 main but whats done is done.

In another month the lake should be clear of ice and snow but at the moment we're still partially buried.

Q22

Aug 18, 2013
Catalina 22 Bucks Lake
I like the interior ceiling light.Don't care much for the stock lights in my 87 look like the lights in a bottom line RV.Better lights class up the whole interior.

Cope

Jun 19, 2011
Who makes that tiller lock? Dose it just lock or can it also hold adjustable tension? (I need a new one)

Another thing I notice is your bowsprit and stern raillings are set in cast aluminum brackets, Where as mine are solid SS.

I wonder if mine were changed out?

As our boats are so close it just makes me wonder?

super great job on the resto.

Sep 29, 2012
I'm glad that I was able to re use the original dome lights however I might retro fit some LEDs into them later. It has been fun trying to preserve the bit of character in this old boat.

Its a cansail tiller lock http://www.cansail.com I thought about the tiller tamer and the tiller clutch but for the cost this one seemed like the best value for me. It only locks the tiller.

A lot of what was on my boat aside from the cushions and head sail appears to have been original. But I'm not sure about the pulpits. They seem to be different from what I've seen in the pictures of other people's boats.