1971 Evinrude won’t start. Need ideas.

Feb 5, 2011
Irwin Mark IV Concord Yacht Club
Need guidance. Motor keeps turning over but won’t start. New plugs installed. Is getting fuel. Starter and cylinoid are only 3-4 years old and the boats only been in fresh water. Going to put new/fresh gas in it today. 1971 evinrude

What else should I check?

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Is it getting spark? What does the plugs look like after cranking? Will it do anything with starter fluid? How many cylinders? When did it run last?

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
Correct fuel, spark with correct timing, and compression are the running requirements.
First use fresh gasoline and oil. Eliminate any old gasoline in the lines and carb.
Second, check for a spark. Ideally it should be a fat blue-white arc, not spindly or yellow. Use a spark tester if you have one. A weak coil can arc on a plug in open air but not under compression.
Try a bit of starting fluid. If it runs on the fluid, but then quits, you have a fuel issue. Most likely gum deposits plugging the carb passages. If it doesn't run on starting fluid, I would look closer at the ignition system.
If the plugs are dry after cranking, I would suspect that the carb is not delivering fuel.
If the carb is the problem, maybe you have several of them, carefully disassemble and soak in a basket with carb cleaner. Run everything through an ultrasonic cleaner if you have access to one. If you have multiple carbs, do one at a time so youdon't mix parts.
This is not rocket science, but it can be very frustrating. Good luck.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
Please note when the motor last ran, and whether you are using non-ethanol fuel or not.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
I don't want to come across like a jerk but your asking for help while giving little to no supporting information. Make an attempt to answer all of the questions. It's a little unmotivating .......people will bend over backwards to help but it's a two way street.

Jim26m

Apr 3, 2019
Macgregor 26M Mobile AL
So, no spark. For now, disregard my fuel question, but still interested in how long it's been since the engine ran. What size engine (hp) is it? There are different ignition setups based on what size engine you're dealing with. I would assume 10hp or less based on the fact that you indicate it's a two cylinder. If it's small, I agree with Rich. Your problem is likely under the flywheel. Coils can even go bad on an engine that old, but as Rich said, start with points and condensers (if applicable).

You mention changing the cutoff switch. Are you sure that the cutoff is wired correctly and in the RUN position? Common ignition related problem that will drive you crazy.

Are you seeing much corrosion at wiring connections, crimp-ons, etc?

If there are coils under the flywheel, often the plug wire was stabbed into a recess in the coil with a pointed connection that stuck into the plug wire core. This connection should be checked for burn/corrosion also.

Corroded connections, broken wire, shorted wire, burned points, condenser, cracked/swollen coils are all things I would look for when you get the flywheel off.

Last edited: