1969 Bristol 40

Status
Not open for further replies.

bgreen

Dec 4, 2010
hunter 35 Rock Hall
I am considering a Bristol 40 full keel and would appreciate any pro's or cons on the boat, quality of construction, what to look for, issues, etc. i owned a Bayfield 40 Ketch previously so am familiar with full keel and their sailability etc.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
I am considering a Bristol 40 full keel and would appreciate any pro's or cons on the boat, quality of construction, what to look for, issues, etc. i owned a Bayfield 40 Ketch previously so am familiar with full keel and their sailability etc.
Had two friends who owned these boats, 1 sloop, 1 yawl. They enjoyed them but both had issues with the stowage and especially with their tenderness under sail. They may be ultimately stable but the easy bilges allow lots of heel.

Tree

Jun 4, 2004
Bristol 27 Alaska
Had two friends who owned these boats, 1 sloop, 1 yawl. They enjoyed them but both had issues with the stowage and especially with their tenderness under sail. They may be ultimately stable but the easy bilges allow lots of heel.
Don't own one ... but from what I know:

Stowage...... think like it's more a 36ft boat with beautiful lines.
Tenderness..... initially a little more tender because it isn't beamy but they become very stable well before 20 degrees.

I have no idea what an easy bilge is.

All in all, very solid boats.

Just make sure it was well cared for.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
We had friends with a Bristol 40 yawl. (I think he still has it - hasn't been able to sell it.) As above, when his wife came aboard our 36 footer, she exclaimed as to how much room we had compared to her. We also enjoyed passing them in light air, to leeward, despite them having their sails up and engine engaged. A pretty boat, generally soldly put together, but it needs about 15 knots of wind to make it move. As mentioned, it's fairly tender, so you're sailing around on your ear all day if there's any breeze, or motoring upright with your sails slatting if there isn't. The mizzen (if there is one) and its rigging take up a lot of room in the cockpit.

RichH

Feb 14, 2005
Tayana 37 cutter; I20/M20 SCOWS Worton Creek, MD
The Bristol 40 is a derivative of the "Finistere" a S&S / Hoyt design that dominated long distance racing during 60s. Other derivatives / similar boats (hulls) are the Block Island 40 and Bermuda 40.
Yes, they are initially tender, need to have FLAT draft forward sails but typically are stable well through the upper 30kts of wind; need taught forestay and well balanced helm (via well 'shaped' sails) or they can easily 'skid off to leeward'. A precise helmsman, quality flat luff entry sails, a good slick bottom and all of these boats 'fly'. You want to keep the ends 'light' in these boats or they tend to 'hobby horse' in a seaway. Heeling is not a big deal, you just reef earlier, and get used to it. If you plan long distance sailing, you dont usually plan to BEAT to windward for days on end, you wait for the correct wind window and reach/run there.
The propensity to heel was not an afterthought, it was purposely designed that way as a 'racing rule beater' so that when heeled, the large overhangs added to the waterline length; hence, the boat is faster when heeled.
Finistere was a *race* boat, and the derivatives / same hull hull design are not optimized as dockside garages due to the narrow beam (as re-defined by todays standards). These boats area bit more than 'raise the sails and go' ... youll have to learn sail shaping and helm balance on-the-fly; and, you will learn to reef (properly).

There still are a lot of well maintained Finistere derivatives found in 'the islands' and in Maine .... most are still 'head turners' - graceful shear and with large overhangs. If set up well, and skippered well ... are a pleasure to sail. All these boats are B-e-a-u-t-i-f-u-l and take a lot of maintenance to keep them that way.

PaulK

Dec 1, 2009
Sabre 402 Southport, CT
Ted Hood may have been influenced by the Finisterre type, but the Bristol 40 is longer, narrower, lighter, and not a centerboarder. Have not heard of any of Bristol 40's winning the Bermuda Race, though another Hood design did (more than 10 years after Finisterre was built).

Mar 15, 2013
Bristol 40 Seattle
Bristol 40

If you are still looking for a Bristol 40, I just lowered my price. Let me know if there is interest. Check this link: wwwbristol40.info

Status
Not open for further replies.