1966 Javelin

Feb 20, 2017
Oday Javelin Alabama
I recently acquired a 1966 Javelin. It has all the parts but the walnut pieces need to be refurbished or replaced.

Where do I get replacement woodwork?

Bob

Aug 2, 2009
Catalina 315 Muskegon
Walnut? Really?

Mahogany and/or teak are so much more likely. If you can't fabricate the parts using the old pieces as templates, then you'll probably need to hire someone to do it for you. It's not that tough a woodworking job.

If your tiller's rotted, you can buy a laminated tiller and tweak it to fit your rudder hardware. Tillers often rot right where they attach to the rudder, so inspect there closely (tiller off rudder).

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
D&R Marine (www.drmarine.com) has the original tiller for the Javelin, admittedly not cheap, but original! Not that hard to replicate if you can get some ash wood and still have the original to copy.
Most of the other wood was teak or mahogany, could use white oak as an alternative. Perhaps, the JAVELIN Class Association would have a source for replacement woodwork, but I think most owners just make new parts using the old ones as templates.

Apr 2, 2017
O'day Javelin Braintree, MA
Hello, I have a 1967 Javelin. It does not have the teak decking. I was wondering if anyone new where to find the dimensions for them. Also, I see posts about balers but I can not locate it on my boat. Does it not have one?

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
I have a 1967 Javelin - I don't think the old models ever had balers - I believe those are found on the newer models that have the enclosed "cuddy" and the molded in floor.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
My experience with bailers is that they let far more water in then they drained out. On the boat that I had them I eventually fiberglassed over the opening. That was the way to dry feet. A Clorox bottle or other container served to bail out incidental water.
These are the ones I had:
https://www.hodgesmarine.com/Anders...lkid=NTyBA8pdW10O&ppcsu=xhg7f5djqeniramsegdoh
These are the ones you should get:
https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/products/bailer-1-quart-26757.html?gclid=CKe47Y3XiNMCFViBswodhQoM8g

Jun 2, 2004
Oday Day Sailer Wareham, MA
Prior to 1971 there was no self-bailer on the JAVELIN, only 1971 and newer had that feature. Older models had a screw-in drainplug just aft of the CB trunk to allow draining bilge after hauling boat out of water. The 1971 and newer models used the same basic bailer as is used on the SUNFISH and it has a little ball that seals the opening to prevent water from flowing into the boat...... well, ,it is supposed to, but I use the bailer on my DS II (same unit as Javelin) oly while boat is moored, not while sailing and it does prevent flooding in a rain storm (only a couple of gallons or less water stays in cockpit and that is contained in a slop-well at the stern.
But, again, the JAVELIN did not have a bailer prior to 1971.
NEWSAILER, are you referring to the floorboards in the cockpit when you talk about "teak decking"? I think another JAVELIN owner recently made new floorboards and posted pictures and dimensions on this web site or perhaps it was another. I'll look to see where I saw them.

Apr 2, 2017
O'day Javelin Braintree, MA
Sunbird, thanks for the help. It is the flooring that I need. I mistakenly referenced it as a deck. I really appreciate everyones help

Apr 4, 2016
Newport 28 Richardson Marina
A Javelin was my first boat. I found they put foam blocks under the seats, after 40 years they were saturated. Once I removed them I could pop the boat up on a plane in 10 knots of breeze, that sure was a fun $800.00 boat. As for the woodwork, buy a couple of tools and replicate them yourself.

Oct 30, 2015
Oday Javelin Skaneateles
Here is a link http://odayjavelin.com/Brightwork_Fittings.html to a site where someone redid the floorboards in a Javelin. I have sent them a message to see if they have a pattern but I imagine from the pics that the old flooring was the only pattern, and he would have to pull out the new ones and actually make a pattern from that, which is a hassle I would not blame anyone for avoiding.

Nov 9, 2012
Oday 192 Lake Nockamixon
It shouldn't be too hard to make templates. I have used posterboard cut to the basic shape, then 3x5 index cards taped to the edges to form curved shapes and around cutouts and stuff. One of my old GP14s had plywood floorboards with thin wood spacers going across underneath, to raise them up 1" or so, and form bilges of a sort. The slat style shown in the original post's pictures look much more shippy, and wouldn't be too hard to do.

I haven't done it yet, but I know of people who varnish, and sprinkle granular sugar on the wet varnish. When dry, wash off the sugar to leave behind a varnish non-skid finish.