14.2 TIller Extension

Nov 6, 2017
Catalina Capri 14.2 Des Moines Lake
I just purchased a 1995 Capri 14.2 that is missing the tiller extension. I purchased a replacement Rostan brand from CatalinaYachts that does not fit the pre-drilled holes (pictured) My parts list names part #24347 but there is no such part on file with Catalina. Does anyone know how to find the original 24" tiller extension or have one for sale? Thanks

Attachments

Joe

Jun 1, 2004
Catalina 27 Mission Bay, San Diego
Since you already have a nice Ronstan extension... why not just fill the existing holes and drill some new ones. I doubt anyone would notice, and it certainly won't devalue the boat.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I would want the original part too, if it wasn't too hard to find. However, you might find it easier and more cost effective to modify what you have to solve your problem. if, like I would be, you are reluctant to put extra holes in a narrow piece of wood (I also think it would work fine that way too), the holes on your tiller and the ones on the extension are offset enough that making an adapter plate would work also. A small piece of brass or a polished wooden block. Use a T-nut in the hole that doesn't line up. If using a brass or steel plate you could tap the middle hole instead, as long at the adapter plate were thick enough to hold like that (say 3/16", 4.7mm or thicker). The brass might be a pretty little detail that sets it off nicely.
- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 6, 2017
Thanks folks. Will continue to try and find the original fit part. if it doesn’t materialize will go to one of these ideas.

Dave Groshong

SBO Staff
Staff member
Jan 25, 2007
Catalina 22 Seattle
It looks like the original may have been a Forespar brand, 102001, I have a message in with Forespar to determine the center to center hole spacing.

Nov 6, 2017
May still have that fit issue with the Forspar. Those connections seem to be universal but not a match to the original. Thanks for checking to compare.