Registered users don't see ads

14.2 TIller Extension

Discussion in 'Parts Search' started by CapriJeff, Nov 6, 2017. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. CapriJeff

CapriJeff

Joined Nov 6, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 14.2
    US Madison, WI Des Moines Lake
    I just purchased a 1995 Capri 14.2 that is missing the tiller extension. I purchased a replacement Rostan brand from CatalinaYachts that does not fit the pre-drilled holes (pictured) My parts list names part #24347 but there is no such part on file with Catalina. Does anyone know how to find the original 24" tiller extension or have one for sale? Thanks

Attached Files:

2. Joe

Joe

Joined Jun 1, 2004
    6,141 posts, 183 likes
    Catalina 27
    US Mission Bay, San Diego
    Since you already have a nice Ronstan extension... why not just fill the existing holes and drill some new ones. I doubt anyone would notice, and it certainly won't devalue the boat.

3. Will Gilmore

Will Gilmore

Joined Oct 19, 2017
    208 posts, 42 likes
    O'Day 19
    US Littleton, NH Littleton, NH
    I would want the original part too, if it wasn't too hard to find. However, you might find it easier and more cost effective to modify what you have to solve your problem. if, like I would be, you are reluctant to put extra holes in a narrow piece of wood (I also think it would work fine that way too), the holes on your tiller and the ones on the extension are offset enough that making an adapter plate would work also. A small piece of brass or a polished wooden block. Use a T-nut in the hole that doesn't line up. If using a brass or steel plate you could tap the middle hole instead, as long at the adapter plate were thick enough to hold like that (say 3/16", 4.7mm or thicker). The brass might be a pretty little detail that sets it off nicely.
    - Will (Dragonfly)

4. CapriJeff

CapriJeff

Joined Nov 6, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 14.2
    Thanks folks. Will continue to try and find the original fit part. if it doesn’t materialize will go to one of these ideas.

5. Dave Groshong

Dave Groshong SBO Staff Staff Member

Joined Jan 25, 2007
    1,138 posts, 31 likes
    Catalina 22
    US Seattle
    It looks like the original may have been a Forespar brand, 102001, I have a message in with Forespar to determine the center to center hole spacing.

6. CapriJeff

CapriJeff

Joined Nov 6, 2017
    3 posts, 0 likes
    Catalina Capri 14.2
    May still have that fit issue with the Forspar. Those connections seem to be universal but not a match to the original. Thanks for checking to compare.

Merriman pedestal control head
Finally, an aluminum replacement for this YS Merriman part.
Stainless documentation placard
Who said a documentation placard cant be beautiful? Brushed stainless with laser-fused numerals.
Turn any toilet into a Raritan for a fraction of the cost
The Raritan LBA matches your existing bowl with the pump/plumbing of a PHII or PHC. save!
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!