12v power loss

Jwhy

Feb 11, 2013
Catalina 320 Kilmarnock
Mystery Solved

I talked with the boatyard mechanic who said the problem was either a failed connection of the ground to the battery, or a missed wire that should have been reconnected to a negative battery terminal. The latter triggered a vague memory of a wire falling behind the batteries when I disconnected at a terminal.

So I pulled out one of the four 6v’s so could move another and see behind the bank. Sure enough, there was a loose wire that restored power to the panel when reconnected.

A silly, frustrating mistake. The consolation is that I learned a lot about the electrical circuits.
Thanks to all for the input.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
I learned a lot about the electrical circuits.
This is continuously evolving process for most boat owners. Even those amongst us who think we have seen it all. Wait till you begin the quest for a phantom ground.

Mar 6, 2008
Catalina 1999 C36 MKII #1787 Coyote Point Marina, CA.
Volt meters check for voltage , not current. presence of voltage does not indicate that all is good. To test if you are getting current - use a high wattage 20 watts or higher incandescent bulb and see if it lights up with expected brightness. Do you have any other device that requires higher current draw such as inverter - connect that and see if it works.
If you have high resistance then even though it shows 12vdc it will not work.
Good luck.