12v Fan

Jun 21, 2004
Beneteau 343 Slidell, LA
I installed four Hella Turbo 12V fans approximately 5 years ago. Paid about $60 each on sale from West Marine.
Overall I am satisfied with the quality. I don't use them much; however, they are supposedly rated for 5000 hours!
The specs are 125 cfm output at 0.2amps ( must be low speed setting). Seems that these fans were popular several years ago; however, it appears that the demand for these have declined in favor of Caframo fans.

Last edited:

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
1991 Catalina 22 Wing Keel 15202 Nocona
Let's us know how much it vibrates on high.[/QUOTE]

Not sure how to measure vibration scientifically but it seems pretty smooth.

Pat

Jun 7, 2004
Oday 272LE Ninnescah Yacht Club, Wichita, Ks.
Ken we have two Vornado fans one for the v-berth and one for the cabin...the one in the v-berth is mounted on the wall on the starboard bulkhead...the other can be moved and is used in the main cabin....it does a good job of moving air around in the main cabin..esp. the cooled air from the air conditionng which tends to get trapped in the quarter berth under the cockpit....neither of them vibrate at all...the one in the forward berth get's it's juice from the circuit operating the light in the v-berth...the other we run an extension chord behind the galley to the quarter berth to give it power.....then we have a 12,000 btu Mermaid AC... Patrick Coutler

Apr 21, 2014
Hunter 356 Middle River, MD
This year was the year to update our fan setup, so had 2 Caframo Sirocco original fans and moved 1 to the V berth on the front of the bulkhead and placed and wired in 2 new Sirocco II fans on either side of the salon bulkhead. The 2 new fans move a lot of air, use little power and are quiet and have a timer with 3 speed settings. Moved the other original Sirocco original fan on the back wall of the aft cabin and installed in its place on the other side another Sirocco II.
The new model seems to be sturdier and quieter and can adjust to any angle and fold against the bulkhead when not in use. We run them almost all the time as air movement really makes it bearable when hot and humid and even helps when the air conditioning is on to circulate air.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
If you watch for them, West Marine puts them on sale. I installed a Caframo Bora in each berth and a Sirocco II in the main cabin. The first thing I do when I open up the boat is point the Sirocco out the companionway to help exhaust the hot air.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
If you watch for them, West Marine puts them on sale. I installed a Caframo Bora in each berth and a Sirocco II in the main cabin. The first thing I do when I open up the boat is point the Sirocco out the companionway to help exhaust the hot air.
Great idea! Thanks!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
The Caframo Ultimates move the most air of all these fans. On low they are extremely quiet. Because they are very low draw fans, if you have lighting converted to LED lamps they can be tied into your lamp supply and still draw much less than the designed incandescent load. We have 5 installed and with all on they draw just a bit more than an amp of power. We let them all run all day long.

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
The Caframo Ultimates move the most air of all these fans. On low they are extremely quiet. Because they are very low draw fans, if you have lighting converted to LED lamps they can be tied into your lamp supply and still draw much less than the designed incandescent load. We have 5 installed and with all on they draw just a bit more than an amp of power. We let them all run all day long.
Thanks for the info! I have mine wired into the input of my AC inverter (only because it was the quickest and closest source of 12V)!

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
They are spec'd at 200CFM on high, at 0.41A, comparable to many of the fans discussed here.
Low speed is 0.25 amp, moves 150 CFM of air and is quiet enough to have conversations without interference. We never use the high speed setting.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
The reference I found earlier was from West Marine...best I could do!:waycool:
Specs
Compact 757 Fan, 12V
Name Value
Capacity 150-200 cfm
Color White
Dimensions 7" x 6.2" x 6.1"
Size Small
Voltage 12 Volts DC Nominal
Warranty Details One Year
You'd think the manufacturer would share that on their site! Under 'Specs' color seems more important.

Jun 19, 2004
Island Packet IP 32 99 Forked River, NJ
Just shopping around after reading these posts. Browsing Amazon they now are taking pre-orders for the Sirocco II Elite due out in September with a brushless motor and 20,000 hour life? And only $199.99....oh boy...the plot thickens. Now, we have to wait until the Annapolis boat show to check this out

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Just shopping around after reading these posts. Browsing Amazon they now are taking pre-orders for the Sirocco II Elite due out in September with a brushless motor and 20,000 hour life? And only $199.99....oh boy...the plot thickens. Now, we have to wait until the Annapolis boat show to check this out
Brushless is great...uses 1/10 current of brushed but 199$$$$$ :yikes:

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
Now I'm thinking again! Maybe I can get RC airplane motor from hobby king for 10 dollars and retrofit!
Yes! Another Hobby King addict! I have been thinking the same thing - a good, brushless RC motor.... Maybe we can figure out which motor is best for certain fans, for retrofit. Would you use an ESC?

w4swk

Mar 23, 2015
Yes! Another Hobby King addict! I have been thinking the same thing - a good, brushless RC motor.... Maybe we can figure out which motor is best for certain fans, for retrofit. Would you use an ESC?
I would just build a speed controller...no need to worry about weight...not lifting it off the ground! Or if you have an esc hanging around that you don't trust in a plane?