110 power situation.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
so last weekend I was changing an outlet. When I put the power back on to test I inadvertently hit the ground wire instead of the common. Popped the gfi feed leading to boat (15p). I climbed down and reset then checked outlet and all is well. Tested gfi and all worked properly. However......... (of course) now my voltage display that shows the 110 to panel after flipping main breaker is always showing voltage..... main breaker on or off. However when In off position no power is being fed to panels as it should be.... when main breaker is on all work well. I pulled display (with main breaker off but still plugged in) And disconnected common wire and needle went to 0 as it should so display seems ok. So what did I blow? Figure I will open panel up today to see if I can see anything..... any ideas......

Thanks
Greg

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
When I put the power back on to test I inadvertently hit the ground wire instead of the common.
This is pretty confusing. What do you mean, you "hit" the ground wire? And what is the "common"? Normal labels are "line" (or "hot"), "neutral", and "ground".

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Meant neutral.... had meter red meter probe on hot, black probe on meter hit ground and popped breaker on shore.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
Ground as in green? Should have had no problems with the circuit, but if improperly set the meter could have blown.
I think you may have more problems here than your account can account for.

Jun 2, 2007
Beneteau First 375 Slidell, LA
Yeah, if your meter was set to read volts and you put the probes as described, it should have been OK.

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
As Capta and Sandy said, if the meter was on Volts there should have been no problems, as a meter measuring volts is not really any different than just an open circuit. If you managed to trip the GFI or breaker the meter must have been measuring amps. In that mode the meter shorts between the probes, which would explain the tripped breaker. It probably would also short a fuse in the meter itself, so it won't read amps anymore. None of this, however, explains why your voltage display (which I presume is different from the meter you were using) should read high even with the breaker off. That part is very strange.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Sounds like a stray current is getting to the volt meter on the boat. Didn’t get a chance to take it apart today however will get to the panel and check out wiring. Quite bizarre....
I am hardly the electrician and the meter I bought recently is not as obvious as my old one that broke...... 1980 craftsman that fell into salt water
Thanks for the input all

Greg

May 7, 2012
Hunter e33 Maple Bay, BC
It probably would also short a fuse in the meter itself
I think you mean open the fuse in the meter itself. If he has blown the meter fuse, replace it and the meter will be good. This does not any shed light on his 110 power situation though.

May 17, 2004
I think you mean open the fuse in the meter itself. If he has blown the meter fuse, replace it and the meter will be good. This does not any shed light on his 110 power situation though.
Yes, sorry, exactly. I think I meant to say that it would short across the fuse in the meter, blowing that fuse. Which would indeed leave it open.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So thank you all for your help..... problem solved. Spoke with blue seas today and basically found out it was a brain fart and that as soon as I am plugged in the volt meter will show voltage to the boat. It is wired before the breaker not after as o was thinking the other day...... new boat itis....... so many things going on I forgot.
Again thanks!
Greg

May 17, 2004
Nice. You might want to test your meter measuring a small amperage to see if it still works or if you need to replace a fuse in it. Better to find that out now than when you need to measure something.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Nice. You might want to test your meter measuring a small amperage to see if it still works or if you need to replace a fuse in it. Better to find that out now than when you need to measure something.
I need a new meter period. When I lost my
Old one I ran to the hardware store and bought what they had and it is not that good. Last one I had was a craftsman and was very detailed with settings in addition to having a temp sensor. Thanks!
Greg

Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Greg would recommend a DVM (Digital Volt Meter) You will be able to see better with DVM then an Analog (needle type). Here is one that will meet more than you need $10.00 at wally.

DVM.JPG
DVMWalmart10.JPG
do the
Capt. Rob

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
Pearson P303 #221 RockPort Maine
Thanks!!!!!
Hey thought I would share my cheat sheets with you. I keep these with my meter for quick reference on 3x5 cards. Anyway, hope this helps... Also, I plug-up the (A)meter to prevent an accidental putting my meter-leads into the wrong hole...lol We all have done this in our life. So don't feel alone! Hope this is some help. Best Regards Capt. Rob This is an example of testing stray currents.. etc. I do this every year just to check the docks-AC- Ground out. :thumbup:

Attachments

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Wow.... excellent stuff. Will go into my boat book for sure.

Again Thanks!!