10HP or 8HP

Status
Not open for further replies.
May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
Hi everybody, I am new to both this site, and a new Catalina 25 owner. I have a very simple question, but I guess the answer will just be a matter of opinion.
As I mentioned, I just bought a 1984 fixed keel Catalina 25. It came with a 5 or 6 year old 10 HP Honda outboard. I own a brand new 8HP Honda as well that I bought for my old boat, and have about 4 hours on it. I will be doing most of my sailing in Jamaica Bay New York, and some coastal sailing as well. I believe that the weight of the boat is in the area of 4,500 lbs. Should I keep the older 10HP that I have no idea how well was maintained, or use the new 8HP? Both have long shafts, and are designed for sailboat use. Any input would be appreciated.

Oct 30, 2011
klidescope 30t norfolk
15 hp

sell them both and get a 15 hp I bet your boat would fly with a 15 hp no more weight than the 10

Oct 26, 2005
- - Satellite Beach, FL.
The hull speed for a Catalina 25 tall rig is 6.31 and you will not get past that with a 15hp.
That works with planing hulls but not hulls like ours.
I'd go with the 8 or get the 10 checked out by a good mechanic to ensure reliability. An uninsured tow can cost more than a new outboard!

Mar 19, 2011
Catalina C25 Eagle Mountain Lake
Do not waste your money on a 15HP motor. The boat will not use it and it will just weigh down the back end. If you try to approach hull speed with it, the back end will just dig in and the motor will simply eat alot of gas.

The recommended motor for a C25 is 7-10 HP per the manual, however that will depend on your use and places you sail.

For what you are doing, bay and coastal, since you are subject to wind, waves and current....a long shaft 9.9 is the preferred, ideal motor. Since you already have a long shaft 8HP, just use that and you'll be golden.

Also, come on over to:

Catalina C25 Association

Introduce yourself, register your boat, join the Association! We're a great group over there and you'll meet owners with years of experience, plus have access to lots of tech tips and suggestions. Any questions you have now, have probably been answered over there so pop in, use the search feature, start planning out your projects.....and share some pictures with us!

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
Thank you for the input, I appreciate it! I do have insurance with BoatUS for both tows and losses. It was about $300.00 a year, and it helps me sleep at night. I am sure it is money well spent!

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
The hull speed for a Catalina 25 tall rig is 6.31 and you will not get past that with a 15hp.
That works with planing hulls but not hulls like ours.
I'd go with the 8 or get the 10 checked out by a good mechanic to ensure reliability. An uninsured tow can cost more than a new outboard!
Thank you for the input, I appreciate it! I do have insurance with BoatUS for both tows and losses. It was about $300.00 a year, and it helps me sleep at night. I am sure it is money well spent!

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
Do not waste your money on a 15HP motor. The boat will not use it and it will just weigh down the back end. If you try to approach hull speed with it, the back end will just dig in and the motor will simply eat alot of gas.

The recommended motor for a C25 is 7-10 HP per the manual, however that will depend on your use and places you sail.

For what you are doing, bay and coastal, since you are subject to wind, waves and current....a long shaft 9.9 is the preferred, ideal motor. Since you already have a long shaft 8HP, just use that and you'll be golden.

Also, come on over to:

Catalina C25 Association

Introduce yourself, register your boat, join the Association! We're a great group over there and you'll meet owners with years of experience, plus have access to lots of tech tips and suggestions. Any questions you have now, have probably been answered over there so pop in, use the search feature, start planning out your projects.....and share some pictures with us!
Thank you very much Joe, I will be sure to do that! It is very helpful speaking with people who have the same boats and know all the ins and outs of them. I am however leaning towards the 10HP since I will be sailing off of Breezy Point N.Y., and it has that name for a reason! They are both Hondas with long shafts, but I think the extra 2 horses would make me feel a bit safer coming around that point. It has claimed many a sailboat in the past.

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
sell them both and get a 15 hp I bet your boat would fly with a 15 hp no more weight than the 10
I do agree with the mindset that more horsepower is always better, but I would like to keep the numbers within the manufacturers recommendations. They did design the boat, and I have faith in what they say should be on it. Having said that, I am leaning towards the 10HP just for safety's sake. Thank you for your help.

Jan 22, 2008
Other Catalina 22 Cundys Harbor, Maine ME
I would go with the 8hp assuming it is a four stroke. I have a 1981 with a fixed keel and a Tohatsu 8hp four stroke and it propels the boat very well. Also I think Catalina recommened the 15hp, but, in my honest opinion it seems like a little bit to much for the boat.

Feb 26, 2004
Catalina 34 224 Maple Bay, BC, Canada
In addition, those guidelines were written when 2 stroke engines were the norm. Once you get into those horsepower ranges, which is ALL the C25 needs, then once the new four strokes came out, WEIGHT becomes an issue. We ran our C25 here on SF Bay with a 2 stroke 7.5 hp Merc for 12 years. It was just fine and I never thought I ever needed more, even coming and going through the Golden Gate or motoring back from the Delta. The LAST thing I ever wanted on that great boat was a heavier motor!

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
In addition, those guidelines were written when 2 stroke engines were the norm. Once you get into those horsepower ranges, which is ALL the C25 needs, then once the new four strokes came out, WEIGHT becomes an issue. We ran our C25 here on SF Bay with a 2 stroke 7.5 hp Merc for 12 years. It was just fine and I never thought I ever needed more, even coming and going through the Golden Gate or motoring back from the Delta. The LAST thing I ever wanted on that great boat was a heavier motor!
Hi Stu,
I think that both the 10 and 8 hp Honda weigh 114 pounds. Does the weight difference effect the sailing of the boat that much?

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
I would go with the 8hp assuming it is a four stroke. I have a 1981 with a fixed keel and a Tohatsu 8hp four stroke and it propels the boat very well. Also I think Catalina recommened the 15hp, but, in my honest opinion it seems like a little bit to much for the boat.
I agree Steve, the 15hp sounds like overkill to me. Since the Honda 8hp and 10hp weigh the same, I think the 10mis the way to go. They are both 4 strokes, and the older 10hp seems to run like a charm, even though it is 8 years older.

Mar 19, 2011
Hi Stu,
I think that both the 10 and 8 hp Honda weigh 114 pounds. Does the weight difference effect the sailing of the boat that much?
No, not really. If you're super anal and racing, then yes...but for normal sailing, no.

Think of it like this: 114 pounds is a young teen or slim woman. Moving them around the boat has hardly any effect at all.

The only time I've seen a motor affect trim is on an O'Day 25....guy has the Honda 9.9 with electric start, power trim and all...it's a super nice motor, but man that puppy is heavy. He had to get a massive mount and use the yard crane to install the motor. You can tell the boat has a very slight list to port and sits a little low at the stern.

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
No, not really. If you're super anal and racing, then yes...but for normal sailing, no.

Think of it like this: 114 pounds is a young teen or slim woman. Moving them around the boat has hardly any effect at all.

The only time I've seen a motor affect trim is on an O'Day 25....guy has the Honda 9.9 with electric start, power trim and all...it's a super nice motor, but man that puppy is heavy. He had to get a massive mount and use the yard crane to install the motor. You can tell the boat has a very slight list to port and sits a little low at the stern.
Hey Joe,
Not doing any racing, but I sure don't need the boat listing at all. I have recently done all the brightwork with Cetol, and cleaned her up a lot! I will be ready to post some pictures of her soon on the other site. One thing that I did find out about my boat. There are 5 other C25's in the yard, but mine is the only one where the seats in the galley face one another while the table is perpendicular to port. I guess this isn't all that common a set up.

Mark

Mar 19, 2011
There are 3 cabin layouts:

1. Traditional - This is what I have. There's a full length port and starboard settee. The dining table folds up against the forward bulkhead, and down between the 2 settees. Common.

2. Dinette - What I think you have...port side dinette has a seat forward of the galley and one on the forward bulkhead. Table comes off the port side. Also has a full length starboard settee. Common

3. L Shaped - This is the rare one. Full length settee starboard. Port side has settee, plus a seating area on the forward bulkhead, making an "L" shape. Small dining table stows on the forward bulkhead.

May 12, 2010
Macgregor 22 Island Park
There are 3 cabin layouts:

1. Traditional - This is what I have. There's a full length port and starboard settee. The dining table folds up against the forward bulkhead, and down between the 2 settees. Common.

2. Dinette - What I think you have...port side dinette has a seat forward of the galley and one on the forward bulkhead. Table comes off the port side. Also has a full length starboard settee. Common

3. L Shaped - This is the rare one. Full length settee starboard. Port side has settee, plus a seating area on the forward bulkhead, making an "L" shape. Small dining table stows on the forward bulkhead.
Hi Joe,
I am going with door number 2!..lol.. Yes, I have the dinette setup, which I like a lot! I am very happy that it came set up this way. The more I learn about this boat, the more I love her! I am still waiting for the full version manual to come from Catalina Direct so that I can rig her. There are so many aspects of the rigging on this boat that are new to me. My Macgregor 22 was much simpler. It looks like the previous owner had bought some new rigging, mixed in with some old stuff. I feel like a marine archaeologist trying to figure this all out!!..lol.. The split backstay, and racing setup is throwing me for a loop!!..lol.. On a happier note, I did manage to secure an amazing slip in a very nice marina!! Go onto youtube and search for Gateway Marina in Brooklyn NY. I think the first video that pops up is of the marina at sunset with music in the background. I am really getting excited for this summer being spent doing some real sailing!!! Without even having her in the water yet, I can already tell that she will sail much better then my Mac 22!

Mark

Status
Not open for further replies.