Registered users don't see ads

100 Percent Acrylic Bottom Paint Initial Test Results

Discussion in 'Trailer Sailors' started by Seahorse24, Oct 30, 2016. Add this thread to a FAQ

1. Seahorse24

Seahorse24

Joined Nov 6, 2014
    119 posts, 9 likes
    Yankee Yankee Seahorse 24
    US Beaver Lake
    Fstbbms, I am glad you were able to give Crazy Dave the kind of informative answer based on actual experience with the product that he was seeking.

This is the reason I am documenting my experience with using 100 percent acrylic exterior house paint on the exterior surface of a sailboat.

2. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,452 posts, 292 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Seahorse24;
    I look forward to your posts on this style painting and thank you for sharing with the forum. We all learn from each other.
    Going back to fiberglassing on the pool project. I wish you could have seen what I walked into by professional, total destruction of a pool. Nothing to it other than dealing with a back issue but wearing a brace. See ya my friend.

Seahorse24 likes this.
  3. solosailier

solosailier

Joined Oct 1, 2009
    23 posts, 3 likes
    American Sail 18 American Sail 18
    US Everywhere
    How is your house paint on sailboat holding out? It was a very interesting thread before the non promoters took over.
    Inquiring minds would like to know.

BTW I used Valspar Duramax paint on the floor of my aluminum boat about 8 years ago and it is still like new and un-retouched.

Seahorse24 likes this.
  4. Seahorse24

Seahorse24

Joined Nov 6, 2014
    119 posts, 9 likes
    US Beaver Lake
    Thank you for your interest, Solosailer. I have kept the rudder in the water since September. The paint Is holding up fine. I am convinced the 100 percent acrylic paint is fine for boats that don't stay in the water 12 months out of the year. The algae still brushes off with a broom, but some slight staining is now visible. Next week I will try a stiffer brush and see if the stains come off.

5. Crazy Dave Condon

Crazy Dave Condon

Joined Jun 8, 2004
    5,452 posts, 292 likes
    -na -NA
    US Anywhere USA
    Thank you Mr. Seahorse24 for keeping us posted. It is results that count. A good case is cementing sending units for example depth finders to the hull with plummers putty. That little green frog, Kermit, made me a believer out of that when I helped him to attach one to the hull inside his 260 hunter

Seahorse24 likes this.
  6. Seahorse24

Seahorse24

Joined Nov 6, 2014
    119 posts, 9 likes
    US Beaver Lake
    Update on bottom paint experiment:

The bottom of the rudder has been in the water over nine months now and the acrylic exterior house paint is holding up extremely well. There has been no softening of the paint at all. We have algae growth, but the algae brushes off.

The longer you leave the algae on the surface ( like months ) the more straining is likely to occur. The strains will come off, but not with a broom. You need a brush. I'm going to allow the algae to remain on the rudder for rest of the summer and will then try my power washer.

Important note: I have no idea how this paint would hold up in salt water. My experiment is taking place in a fresh water lake.

Based on what I have seen so far, 100 percent acrylic paint appears to be a reasonable alternative bottom paint for trailered project boats. It would probably not be a good idea to use house paint on an expensive boat, but for those who have a project boat, you might want to consider it.

More updates to follow.

LloydB and Dennis Kitchen like this.
  7. solosailier

solosailier

Joined Oct 1, 2009
    23 posts, 3 likes
    American Sail 18 American Sail 18
    US Everywhere
    Thanks for the info update. Still interested. I may paint some white parts of deck with Valspar acrylic elastomeric paint to tone down the brightness now that It is affecting my eyesight. Do not forget the sun tan lotion.

Seahorse24 likes this.
  8. LadyHawk

LadyHawk

Joined Jun 23, 2017
    19 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina22 CL16
    US Iowa Red Rock
    Following as outside the box is always fun to learn from! Thanks for posting this!!

Seahorse24 likes this.
  9. LadyHawk

LadyHawk

Joined Jun 23, 2017
    19 posts, 6 likes
    Catalina22 CL16
    US Iowa Red Rock
    How is the topside and non-skid holding up?

Seahorse24 likes this.
  10. Seahorse24

Seahorse24

Joined Nov 6, 2014
    119 posts, 9 likes
    US Beaver Lake
    LadyHawk, thank you for your comment and question. The topside and non-skid are holding up well. The paint is formulated to last for years on the exterior of houses.

Sunbrella lifesling covers
Any color, fits over existing bag to match your existing canvas.
NEW, updated Get Rid of Boat Odors
The bible of marine toilets and plumbing, expanded and updated for 2016!
Flexible steel chafe pads
Innovative new product made of flexible, laser cut stainless steel. Must see!
Gray Enterprises port gasket
Stop winter leaks. Compare our price!