Fuel supply for genset......

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Beneteau 423 Mt. Sinai, NY
So making plans to reinstall my Onan genset. When originally installed it had a small fuel filter (racor 110) and its own supply line from the tank. I was wondering if it would make sense to put a t off my engine fuel supply that comes off my racor 500 And use that instead and eliminate the other fuel lines and filter. I can also add a shut off valve at thos
Point. I’m not a fan of the 110 model as it is more headache to deal with. Also the previous dedicated fuel line has a shut off valve on the tank that I have to disassemble a part of the aft lazerette floor to get to. Just seems like it would be so much easier.

Thanks

Greg

Jan 19, 2010
Catalina 34 Casco Bay
Should you want to run both at the same time they would be competing for the same fuel supply. Also, an unwritten rule is to leave fuel lines intact. Air induction possibilities increase each time you cut into and add onto a fuel line. Might even be a good time to replace old lines and do so ONLY with fuel rated lines and connections.

Feb 10, 2004
Hunter 40.5 Warwick, RI
I would add a separate filter and fuel lines. And if you have room, I would install another Racor 500 and valves so that you could run the generator and engine off either filter. The advantage would be that if one filter became plugged you could quickly switch to the other. Then a plugged filter could be changed while you continue to run from the other one. This could be over-kill, but if you are adding another filter anyway, the difference is just some valves and a few fittings.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
Should you want to run both at the same time they would be competing for the same fuel supply. Also, an unwritten rule is to leave fuel lines intact. Air induction possibilities increase each time you cut into and add onto a fuel line. Might even be a good time to replace old lines and do so ONLY with fuel rated lines and connections.
Interesting thoughts..... and yes when I bought the boat I changed all fuel lines..... marine grade.
Thanks

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So I guess keeping it the way it is with separate fuel lines is the correct way to go.

Jul 23, 2009
Beneteau 31 Oceanis Grand Lake, Oklahoma
I would prefer two separate fuel systems, but that's me.
Maybe it's time upgrade to a better style filter or one you like better. You could also add a second shut off valve that's easier to access.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Point. I’m not a fan of the 110 model as it is more headache to deal with.
Hi Greg, our boat has Racor 110s, one for each engine. Would you please elaborate your concerns? Never had a problem with ours. Easy to check for water, replace, etc.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
The 110 is a good separator but you can’t see in. My beneteau came with one for the engine as well..... Also when changinging filter you screw the bowl up and can only fill so much making bleeding more work (not much more). With the 500 you can see what is going on and changing filters is clean and easy.

Greg

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
The 500 opens on top and therefore it is possible to change the filter without spilling any fuel, a HUGE plus, in my book.
As for changing from your current system to a single feed line, it might be wise to understand how your system is designed. On a properly set up double pick-up fuel system the genset fuel pick-up is higher than the main engine so the engine still has fuel after you can no longer use the genset. It would be a real mistake, IMO, to remove this safety feature, but hey, it is ultimately your boat and decision.

Last edited:
Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Hunter kept the fuel feeds to each engine separate, such as on ours, for a reason. Were it my boat, I would keep them separate.

NYSail

Jan 6, 2006
So its done...Keep the way it is, it is!

Thanks for the input once again!

Greg