A whale of a time?

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Speed is deceiving. You're riding smoothly along. Standing up, walking about, no thought to what might happen if you suddenly stopped.
Such a tragedy. My condolences to their families.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Sep 20, 2014
Rob Legg RL24 Chain O'Lakes
It seems a little odd to have that much damage, that high up. I realize it is a cat, but most boats on plane get their nose out of the water and would clear or skip over anything submerged. Makes me wonder if they saw it ahead of time and chopped the throttle, hoping to minimize impact. Of course off throttle you completely loose steering as well.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
It seems a little odd to have that much damage, that high up. I realize it is a cat, but most boats on plane get their nose out of the water and would clear or skip over anything submerged. Makes me wonder if they saw it ahead of time and chopped the throttle, hoping to minimize impact. Of course off throttle you completely loose steering as well.
I agree, the damage does not look consistent with a "submerged" object. There are no other boats reported missing?!?

-Will (Dragonfly)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I seriously doubt that this is a collision with a whale. However, River monsters are quite common up that way and they could easily do that sort of damage and can be nearly invisible until you are on them.
"River Monster";
Frequently found in Alaskan and PNW rivers, channels and open water but can be found in most areas the world especially after a hard rain. A large floating tree root or any fairly large tree part floating in the water. When hit by a boat they can roll and frequently do much more damage than one would expect.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
To stove an aluminum hull like that I would think they hit something very immobile - like a rock. Someone in the article was quoted as saying, "That area is characterised by lots of small, rocky islands and lots of submerged objects". Usually the most simple explanation is the correct one.

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
To stove an aluminum hull like that I would think they hit something very immobile - like a rock. Someone in the article was quoted as saying, "That area is characterised by lots of small, rocky islands and lots of submerged objects". Usually the most simple explanation is the correct one.
In my experience, any collision with a rock that could do that much damage to an alloy boat would hole it in at least one place. Alloy will tear as it bends when it hits an immovable object. Here we see a lot of bending but no apparent tears or holes, as if it hit something that gave way as the boat went over it.