Wind Song update - varnish and decks

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Absolutely beautiful. How very exciting. I'm happy to be able to follow along. Thank you.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 4, 2015
Update here for Wind Song just before Thanks Giving, the varnish stripdown and build up project is completed. 10 coats, looks great!! Lots of Gorgeous Wood in great shape. Next Decks will be painted in the coming weeks. Also installing new Primary winches, replacing the originals (if your interested in any original winches, I have been saving them for the right person), new primaries are Andersen 52ST's, secondaries are 50ST's, I put in a few years ago. Very happy with the Andersen winches, look great, function, fit, finish, smooth, reliable, supportable, also Danish, so compliment the boats heritage. Have also replaced all winches on the mast with Andersen this winter as well. On the power side going with a second 100 Ah house batt (AGM) now that I have a new refer system (seaFrost) with 4" of insulation around the box and a vacuum panel top hatch. A few years ago upgraded the Alternator to 70amp Balmar, has worked very well for a fast charge, no engine mods required to install.

Again great workmanship at Concordia in Padanaram. Can't say enough good things about them! Very high quality work, a pleasure to work with, costs are not bad considering some recent yard horror stories I have heard about other well know yards, have never had to rework anything, they get it right the first time, and things all work when you pick the boat up. Lets see, last project, putting in 2 nice LED dome lights from Imtra, red/warm white over chart table and port aft corner over counter.

Hope other will share their projects and pictures.
BR
Lloyd

Attachments

Last edited:
Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
That is not your typical DIY project.
Oh it would be nice to have an indoor workshop to enjoy.

Very nice work.

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Alden 38' Challenger yawl Rockport Harbor
Your Caravelle is looking great, Lloyd. Nice to see the work photos of long established yard. They work clean in that shop. Every tool connected to a substantial dust removal system. The boat and deck becomes the shop on these projects as tools and supplies collect on deck. It's nice to have those wide decks in this case.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
I can smell the epoxy from just looking at the pictures. That brings back some old memories.

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Absolutely beautiful!

I especially love the classic styling of her binnacle.

Curious that her foredeck vent is facing forward. Is there a special water dam built in?

-Will (Dragonfly)

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Is there a special water dam built in?
Will
Here is the typical insides of a dorade. Mine look like this one (image from the internet). There in essence is a dam to stop water from going into the boat. Can it be overwhlemed? yes. If more water enters the vent then can escape the holes in the side of the dorade and washes onto the deck. If the holes become clogged then the horror of water entering the boat may become a reality.
dorade-vent-close-up-2.JPG

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
I think of preservation in terms of old historic buildings (of which I try to preserve). More and more I think preservation when it comes to old boats like your Caravelle. Thanks to the care of past owners, the 1966 wooden house that the Poul Molich yard in Denmark built from pile of lumber, is still in great shape.

I can see in the tidy background of the photos, the crew at Concordia are experienced preservationists. They must be, nearly all of the 100 Concordia's that were built are still sailing and most of those are 20+- years older than WINDSONG.

Have you had to listen to any stupid fiberglass jokes? :)

TomY

Alden Forum Moderator
Jun 22, 2004
Absolutely beautiful!

I especially love the classic styling of her binnacle.

Curious that her foredeck vent is facing forward. Is there a special water dam built in?

-Will (Dragonfly)
I have a 4" cowl vent mounted on a dorade box in the same location. It's a great place right over the anchor locker to dry rodes out as well as send ventilation into the forward end of the boat.

You can turn the cowl to lee-ward, which we'll do if beating overnight into seas. But otherwise it stays dry forward facing always directing any airflow below.

As JimS mentions, the dorade box has drains cut out at the bottom to drain seawater. The size of those drains effect the ventilators performance; the larger they are, the less air they move, but the more water they drain. Olin Stevens invented the dorade box. I think he had some formula for drain size.

As I've had to replace/rebuild my original dorade boxes, from experience with the boat, I kept the drains(cut outs on the outboard side) on the small side of the pair mounted on the house(rarely do they see green water and have never shed a drop below), and erred on the larger side of on the bow deck box dorade. If youe do stuff the bow in a wave, the forward box drains over the anchor locker and into the bilge.

I have 2 cowls aft - facing aft, that channel air through the entire boat including the engine/cockpit locker spaces.

Dorade boxes mounted  (1 of 1).jpg

JayZ

Dec 4, 2007
Hodgdon Bros. Alden Caravelle Seabrook, Texas
showing some serious pride of ownership here! very pretty Caravelle.