magnificent boat repair !

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I'd like to know what that repair cost, and who paid!

Aug 28, 2006
Bavaria 35E seattle
Incredibly entailed repair project done to a professional standard. I'd like to know how the rudder assembly went unscathed by the accident considering it looks as though it sits as proud as the motor. Lucky that didn't get smacked.

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Why did they cut out all those small pieces and glue them in individually? Seems like puttingin one larger pieces would have been a lot easier.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Why did they cut out all those small pieces and glue them in individually? Seems like puttingin one larger pieces would have been a lot easier.
Did you read the text, or just look at the pictures? :)
They needed to create a lip from the inside to support the final, outer patch pieces, and needed to build up a couple of thicknesses of 6mm ply, while maintaining the correct contour of the transom, which is not flat. The multiple pieces allowed them to fit them through the hole, and to clamp them.
Well done, but certainly not cheap!

Nov 13, 2011
Oday 23 New River Az
Did you read the text, or just look at the pictures? :)
They needed to create a lip from the inside to support the final, outer patch pieces, and needed to build up a couple of thicknesses of 6mm ply, while maintaining the correct contour of the transom, which is not flat. The multiple pieces allowed them to fit them through the hole, and to clamp them.
Well done, but certainly not cheap!

Just seems like since the original was made from plywood that there would have been a lot easier way to repair it using the same material.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Just seems like since the original was made from plywood that there would have been a lot easier way to repair it using the same material.
I get that, but the "easier way" of repairing it would probably mean replacing the entire transom, and this would probably have been a much bigger job, with no guarantee of preserving the original form of the transom. Note that this repair didn't extend into any of the original seams or transom to sides to deck, etc.

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I get that, but the "easier way" of repairing it would probably mean replacing the entire transom, and this would probably have been a much bigger job, with no guarantee of preserving the original form of the transom. Note that this repair didn't extend into any of the original seams or transom to sides to deck, etc.
He also ended up with a nicely reinforced backing for his kicker mount. That little motor doesn't need much of a backing plate, but then given the way it ripped out in the first place maybe it does.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
This repair provided a layered series of joints that in the end would be much stronger than the original without any more weight, something valuable where the motor mount is.
A simple piece of plywood could not have done that