OB security while on mooring

Jan 19, 2019
Oday 27 Hudson, Wisconsin
So we pulled the trigger and bought a Tohatsu Sail Pro (as the Evinrude from the 1980's was just not being dependable). This OB is worth almost as much as our boat though (LOL, I'm only kind of exaggerating) and I'm wondering about best ways to secure it to prevent theft. Most the other boats that moor near us leave their OB attached on stern, but do some people take it off and lock it in the boat? Or rig up a chain lock etc? Just hoping to avoid theft :(

Apr 8, 2011
Hunter 40 Deale, MD
Its worth making a lock or cable difficult to cut. Either the MarineTech or Fulton outboard motor locks should do the job. Well enough that if someone is determined to get your motor they will, and you'll be able to tell the insurance agent that you did what you could to secure it. (You DID update your marine insurance to cover the potential loss, right?) Covering the outboard so someone can't see readily that its brand new, and what brand/hp it is, might also help a little.

Jul 7, 2004
Hunter 30T Cheney, KS
Its worth making a lock or cable difficult to cut. Either the MarineTech or Fulton outboard motor locks should do the job. Well enough that if someone is determined to get your motor they will, and you'll be able to tell the insurance agent that you did what you could to secure it. (You DID update your marine insurance to cover the potential loss, right?) Covering the outboard so someone can't see readily that its brand new, and what brand/hp it is, might also help a little.
Good points. You should take pictures of it locked, model number and serial number for your insurance records. Make sure your coverage will handle the loss. An ugly cover might discourage thieves. :)

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
A thick SS cable is a better choice than a chain. Bolt cutters are not very effective on cables as the cable splays out. Good cable cutters are expensive, bolt cutters are cheap. Thieves are cheap so they don' t carry cable cutters.

A good cable and a good lock should do it.

Oct 1, 2007
Boston Whaler Super Sport Pt. Judith
Also I have seen some guys paint their outboard cover day glow bright orange......

JRT

Feb 14, 2017
Catalina 310 211 Lake Guntersville, AL
I used a cable and lock from the hardware store when I bought a new outboard. It was black rubber coated and kept everyone honest.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
I used a cable and lock from the hardware store when I bought a new outboard. It was black rubber coated and kept everyone honest.
The reality is the lock and cable will keep honest people honest. If someone is really intent on stealing your OB, they will find a way. Fortunately most thieves are lazy and only pick the low hanging fruit.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I bought the same O.B. this spring. Love mine. I use the same approach as @tfox2069 and have done so for many years. So far lucky. BTW: if you are like me and don't like to read manuals..... the O.B. has to be off but in forward gear to tip it up. I don't know why they designed it that way but it is what it is.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
It's a shame that this is a consideration. But, that said, how extreme would you go? You could remove the "handles" from the screws holding it to the transom. I think mine are held in place with roll pins. A roll pin punch will make quick work of removal, and installation, too. You could also use some red loctite when you tighten the screws; only you would know heat is required to unscrew.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
Just find an old cowling that may fit it. Take a hammer, a wire brush, some spray paint and leave the leg in the water for a week. Make it look like an old clunker and it should be safe. You may add a rusty chain to reinforce the notion that it may not be worth the effort.