M 25 keel position-motoring only

Nov 19, 2018
macgregor m25 puerto vallarta
Good morning all, in deep,choppy waters with no sails up & motoring only,what position of the keel offers the most stability & handling of my M 25 ,all of the way down, in it's locked position or all of the way up ? Thanks in advance for any replies !

Sep 25, 2008
1970 Venture by Macgregor 21 Clayton, NC
In time of rough weather, I would think you would want maximum stability. With a sailboat, you would want as much in the water as possible to balance the height of the mast. Therefore I would recommend keeping the keel in full down position, until you reach the point in landing where the keel starts hitting bottom.

It has been many years ago, and I don't remember the details, but several people have been killed when motoring with the keel up and the boat capsized.

Jun 3, 2004
Macgregor 25 So. Cal.
Just think of your boat as not having a retracting keel and you will be safe,

Nov 19, 2018
Thank you for replying but i don't understand what you are telling me.

Jun 24, 2010
Macgregor 25 Northeast, MD
I put my keel down and lock if I think the weather is rough enough that I want the boat as stable as possible. Once you are close to your port retract the keel. Where I sail it is almost always pretty deep so having the keel down and locked is never a problem.

Nov 19, 2018
Thanks for the reply but will the boat be more stable & be more responsive in choppy water with the keel all of the way down & unlocked ? I am talking about motoring the boat with no sails or a mast.

May 16, 2011
Macgregor V-25 Charlton, MA- Trailer
Good morning all, in deep,choppy waters with no sails up & motoring only,what position of the keel offers the most stability & handling of my M 25 ,all of the way down, in it's locked position or all of the way up ? Thanks in advance for any replies !
I like down. The stability is worth what little drag it causes.