Aquarius23 fixed keel

vetch

Dec 3, 2011
Prout Manta 38 St. Augustine
I used to have an Aquarius A23 centerboard model and know a little bit about them. First there is a fairly
sportbrella2.jpg
1043973_10200220981027379_856656634_n.jpg
active yahoo group for the boats. I highly recommend you check it out.

https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/Aquarius-owners/info

Aquarius was a name of a line of boats made by Coastal Recreation back in the 70's and early 80's. It is not surprising that your title would say Coastal Rec. They also made a line of Balboa boats (You can find them under "Brand Specific Forums" of this site.) The vast majority of the Aquarius boats were made with a center board but a fixed keel was an option. Yours is defiantly an A23. It should be a nice stiff boat with the fixed keel although with the weight they do tend to be a little corky.

One of the things I really liked about the A23 was the looks. At 23 LOA they really have the lines of a 26 or 27 foot boat, and in my opinion they have one of the nicer cabin layouts of a boat in that size. With out a centerboard trunk inside it should be really nice. The mast tabernacle on your boat looks like a nice upgrade, and the wood trim around the windows and along the rub rail are sharp looking. Looks like you found a good one.

I'll attached is a picture of the one I have.

Jan 19, 2010
Hobie 16 & Rhodes 22 Skeeter Charleston
I used to sail a Balboa 26. The Coastal Rec. boats are solidly built boats. Thick hulls and lots of extra fiberglass in the stress points.

Jun 9, 2008
- -- -Bayfield
My first boat was an Aquarius 23 and it was built by Coastal Recreation is Costa Mesa CA. Later Balboa picked it up and it was called a Balboa 23 and instead of the through the cockpit tiller/rudder arrangement, they hung it on the transom and filled in where the outboard went on the A-23 and put an adjustable outboard bracket to the side. Most of the Aquarius 23's were a swing keel, but a few were attached fin keels. The Aquarius 23 was designed by the late Peter Barrett, who once was the president of North Sails back in the 70's.