Bilge Pump Manual vs Automatic

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
The sailboat that we have placed an offer on and accepted has a manual bilge pump. Is it possible to convert this to automatic/manual for safety reason? Also is it expensive?

This is for a 38ft 2011 Hunter. Any help would be thankful.

Feb 3, 2015
Marlow Hunter 37 Reefpoint Marina Racine, WI
I can’t believe a 38’, 2011 only has a manual bilge pump. It should have an auto bilge pump located at the lowest place of the bilge, another auto high water bilge with an alarm notifying you that the high water bilge is going off and the emergency manual bilge. Has the boat been inspected yet!

Sep 25, 2008
Alden 50 Sarasota, Florida
You might be able to use some of the plumbing but it’s not a good idea. Just keep the manual and install an auto bilge pump with separate plumbing and thruhull. The boat was originally delivered with one auto pump.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
@Boomer54 - I hope you are correct. Our offer was accepted on Saturday and with it being the holiday weekend I have limited contact with the owner of the boat. I was reading the description on the boat listing and it stated "Manual" so I was going by that.

I'll be searching for a surveyor and having the boat surveyed in a week or at least I hope. The hours on the engine meter is not working either. Owner claims that the hours are 1,500 hours. However, I found an ad from a year ago from a different broker that stated 1,500 hours. Which isn't accurate at all. I just found this out late last night. I'm a little concerned with that considering the boat was used on a program called SailTime. In general the boat looks clean. The floors are not the best and I assume from others renting the boat and not caring. But over all appearance I'd give it an 8 out of 10. I'm more concerned about the mechanics and other at this time.

I'm hoping that the surveyor I hire can do an in depth look over, and I was also told there is a method of checking the oil and sending it off to get an analysis.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
You might be able to use some of the plumbing but it’s not a good idea. Just keep the manual and install an auto bilge pump with separate plumbing and thruhull. The boat was originally delivered with one auto pump.

It very well could be auto/manual and the description on the listing is incorrect. I'll be in touch with the owner on Tuesday to check this out.

Jun 1, 2009
Hunter 49 toronto
It very well could be auto/manual and the description on the listing is incorrect. I'll be in touch with the owner on Tuesday to check this out.
Respectfully, the expense of an automatic bilge pump is insignificant in the overall budget of maintaining a 38 foot boat; especially if you ever need it.

Dec 28, 2015
Laser, Hunter H30 Cherubini Tacoma
Blackstone Labs for the oil analysis. They are used for fuel truck engines. I'd confirm they are versed in marine.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
Respectfully, the expense of an automatic bilge pump is insignificant in the overall budget of maintaining a 38 foot boat; especially if you ever need it.
Exactly! I couldn't agree more. If I'm buying a boat certainly I have the income to maintain it. ;) I was just curious what the cost might be. Take into consideration that I'm still in negotiation until the dotted line is signed!

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
This seems to infer you made an offer on a boat you haven’t looked at. If so, your faith in people is unprecedented
Incorrect, I did take a look at the boat. I was aboard and spent a couple hours looking at and talking things over with the owner. I was also working on limited to no sleep for 20 plus hours. I had to drive 15 hours from my residence w/wife to the boat location. This is also where the surveyor comes in to do what I can't and his/her expertise to tell me what's wrong. Nothing is perfect I'm sure. I'm just looking for the serious problems, if any.

I'm not a professional surveyor by any means and I do know the basics. It has been a very long time since I've step on a sailboat.

And yes, I do have faith in mankind. It helps with my sanity. Even though a good portion of my life I spent tracking the meanest, nastiest guys on the face of the planet and around the globe down! In general, believe it or not, there is more GOOD in the world than BAD!

Apr 11, 2010
Hunter 38 Whitehall MI
I’d be very surprised that there is only one manual bilge pump.
Our 2008 38 came standard with a manual bilge pump, and automatic bilge pump located deep in the bilge. It also came fully wired and plumbed for an emergency high volume high water pump.
The location for it is about 1 foot off the bottom of the bilge. The discharge hose is run and only needs a through hull installed for it. The wiring and relays are installed and currently power a high water alarm. It’s intended to have a pump in the 4000 gallon per hour range.

May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I’d be very surprised that there is only one manual bilge pump.
Our 2008 38 came standard with a manual bilge pump, and automatic bilge pump located deep in the bilge. It also came fully wired and plumbed for an emergency high volume high water pump.
The location for it is about 1 foot off the bottom of the bilge. The discharge hose is run and only needs a through hull installed for it. The wiring and relays are installed and currently power a high water alarm. It’s intended to have a pump in the 4000 gallon per hour range.

Thank you so much for the information. I'll know for certain tomorrow. Glad to see tomorrow coming, as I'm ready to get back to business.

May 24, 2004
CC 30 South Florida
The sailboat that we have placed an offer on and accepted has a manual bilge pump. Is it possible to convert this to automatic/manual for safety reason? Also is it expensive?

This is for a 38ft 2011 Hunter. Any help would be thankful.
For safety reasons do not waste the effort. For convenience reasons you can add a float switch or replace the pump with an automatic one. It is a convenience to have the pump being able to discharge incidental water that collects in the bilge all by itself. No it is not expensive, a float switch needs to installed in the bow to stern axis to avoid kicking on the switch when the boat heels. Bilge pumps are not designed to be a safety item, you want safety install a manual gusher pump that can be operated from the cockpit and inspect frequently your through hulls, valves, hoses and clamps. These small electric pumps are hard pressed to deliver 25% of their rated capacity in real world installations.

Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
A manual bilge pump of the diaphragm type that can be stroked/pumped from the cockpit is standard (basic) equipment on sailboats. These are rated at ca. 16-18 gal/min. I suppose that means the person pumping must complete a cycle (i.e., draw/discharge) every second or two, which might get you near 1000 GPH if you could keep it up for an hour.

Nevertheless, it would be unwise to disassemble the manual pump’s pathway and to install an electric (impeller type) one in its place. The electrics are installed to drain the bilge of incidental water, sometimes wired to a float switch that turns them on at a certain water level. Some pumps activate on a preset cycle—no float switch. An impeller pump rated at 2200 GPH will likely deliver only half, if not less, of that discharge rate after installation, even assuming nothing gets sucked into, thus fouling, the impeller.

Manual diaphragm pumps do not foul b/c there is no impeller. They can pass solid debris (bits and pieces of little s**t) through the hose. And as they also do not require power, they are in those ways more reliable—but you (crew) have to pump ‘em. Here’s to good CV stamina.:beer:

Neither of those pumps could likely keep up with “serious” flooding. You’d need an actual, realized rate of near 3000 GPH to keep up with a modest hole/crack that cannot be quickly plugged. So, unless you wish to get real serious about emergency dewatering capacity just leave the manual (i.e., standard equipment) as it is. Install a 1600-2200 GPH impeller pump with its own discharge hose and port. Build on that later. The pump and accessories cost maybe $250. Having a professional installation at around $100/hr labor (if you are lucky) x 2 hr, etc., estimates out at about $500.

Last edited:
May 2, 2019
Hunter 38 Annapolis, MD
I found out from the owner that it has a automatic, with manual switch on the electrical panel. That eases things a little. Thanks to everyone who commented and gave options and opinions!

MitchM

Jan 20, 2005
Nauticat 321 pilothouse 32 Erie PA
adding an electric bilge pump powered from your house battery with both a manual and auto mode is a quite easy DIY. some new bilge pumps even have integral float switches. you can also get fancy and add bilge pump counters and alarms.