Attachment points for Jacklines

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Just curious what 310 owners have done for attachment points for jacklines. Pretty sure this subject has been covered to some extent on this site, but couldn't locate.
Obviously this is a very personal thing. I'd like to do a centre line if possible. Did you install pad eyes, or rig using the cleats? Having a dodger/bimini brings up a whole mess of organizational problems.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
We run two, one on each side. We use the bow and stern cleats and 30-foot jacklines are perfect.

If you run down the middle how do you go from the cockpit to forward of the dodger clipped in?

I might someday add dedicated padeyes to go along the cabin top. I have the padeyes but haven't got to the project yet. Like so many other things.

By the way, we do use our jacklines. We just did a 95 nm trip from St. Croix to St. Marteen. We both clipped in at various points to go forward and deal with stuff.

Good luck and fair winds,

Jesse

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
With no sarcasm intended...

Other than jibing a chute with a pole, how many people fall off the side deck or fore deck, up hill, to windward? I think you will find the percentage of the total MOBs is trivial, if you can find one non-racing incident. People slide down hill and they don't fall off the side deck, because the are paying attention. The greatest problem with a CL jackline is that now the jackline is twice as close to the real hazard, the lee rail. The smaller the boat, the worse the problem.

I think any proof that CL jacklines are safer is non-existent. But I would love to be proven wrong. I just believe that the need for CL jacklines is an internet myth, or a least an exaggeration.

On the other hand, I can come up with many examples, including a death on the last Clipper Race, that were attributable to jacklines that run to cleats. Jacklines should end at least 4 feet away from the bow and stern, because people do fall in those directions. Additionally, if you sail singlehanded or shorthanded, the jacklines should probably be run all the time, which eliminates cleats.

Nov 18, 2010
Catalina 310 Hingham, MA
I think you will find the percentage of the total MOBs is trivial, if you can find one non-racing incident.
Not sure I would say it's trivial. Every cruising season we here of one or two that fall off the boat and die. Sometimes that's drowned because of tether and a good example of how not to run jacklines.

Jacklines should end at least 4 feet away from the bow and stern, because people do fall in those directions. [/Quotes]

I wouldn't disagree with this. But hard to accomplish on many boats without putting in dedicated attachment points.

jacklines should probably be run all the time, which eliminates cleats.
Not sure I agree with this one. Care to explain more?

Mar 26, 2011
Corsair F-24 MK I Deale, MD
Not sure I would say it's trivial. Every cruising season we here of one or two that fall off the boat and die. Sometimes that's drowned because of tether and a good example of how not to run jacklines.
I think you misunderstood my point. Certainly you inadvertently took my use of "trivial" out of context. Let me simplify it.

Did they fall to windward or did they fall to leeward?

If they fell to leeward, as I believe you will find, then a center line jackline will not help. If they fell from the extreme bow (Clipper race) or extreme stern (Chic-Mac), then using cleats as anchor points is a contributing factor. If they feel from mid-boat, to wandward, then a centerline jackline would have helped. But I think you will find that leeward, bow, and transom are the risks.

I do NOT think jacklines or MOBs are trivial issues. I have published several paper mag articles on the topic and have been involved in a number of investigations.

Ward H

Nov 7, 2011
Catalina 30 Mk II Barnegat, NJ
I find this discussion very interesting as I need to run jack lines as I plan to do some ocean sailing. So far I've just sailed in the bay.

how many people fall off the side deck or fore deck, up hill, to windward?
Are there not times when issues require going forward on the low side? Do you use the high side jack line? Won't that require a very long tether and possibly require going back and forth from high side to low side as you move forward?

I just believe that the need for CL jacklines is an internet myth, or a least an exaggeration.
I thought the purpose of the CL jack line, when used with a tether of an appropriate length, was to provide one jack line that kept you on the boat no matter what side you went down.

Jacklines should end at least 4 feet away from the bow and stern, because people do fall in those directions.
That makes sense to me. Thanks.

Thanks
Ward

Aug 29, 2016
Catalina 2004 310 (Hull #250) BC
Thanks so far for everyone's input. I've seen some pretty inventive setups and "tricks" that address some of the above concerns: tying a bowline separate line that keeps the tether clip from running back to the stern on a cleat set up, doubling the tether back around the jackline to your harness halves the tether length, and of course using a three point tether set up so that you are never unclipped at transfer. Have also seen some setups using an above deck clip using a spare halyard or using the shrouds.
Point being that whatever your philosophy and attachment points, know your set up's weaknesses. The feeling is that the benefits outweigh the risks...otherwise we wouldn't bother to use a jackline, right?