Bus bar for NMEA 0183 connections

Nov 4, 2018
Hunter 28.5 Catawba Island, OH
As I have several gizmos that share information via NMEA 0183, I was considering using a bus bar to interconnect the devices.
Thoughts . . .
Alec

May 17, 2004
Beneteau Oceanis 37 Havre de Grace
The problem with 0183 is that it's not designed to have multiple talkers on the same network. The talkers, if just on a bus, will talk over each other and corrupt everything. You need to have a multiplexor that takes the multiple inputs, stores their sentences, then forwards them out to the listeners in an orderly way. If you're just talking about having one set of data broadcast out to multiple devices, that can be done with just a bust type architecture, since only one thing is talking.

Nov 4, 2018
I didn't realize a cross-talk issue.
Primary purpose would be gps signal to my devices. The wheel pilot can also be connected to my wind instrument to use it's sail-to-the wind mode.
I'll have to sit on the boat with a few instruction manuals and thing about this.
Thanks

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 34 Alameda CA
I don't know if this will help you, but I used NEMA0183 to connect my Raymarine Autopilot, B&G VHF/AIS, Garmin GPSMap 547xs and a laptop running Open CPN. I was able to take advantage of the capability of the 0183 interface where one device could talk, but more than one could listen. As an example, my GPS at the helm was connected to my VHF for position information, but split off to the autopilot. I see position on the VHF display and the autopilot will maintain a course set on the GPS. The AIS data comes out of the VHF back to the GPS so I can see the ships and branches to a USB connector where I can see the same information when running Open CPN. I used some terminal strips just to keep the wires organized and my schematic indicates the function as the wire colors had to keep changing. One strip is under the steering pedistal above the rear berth and the other end is behind the circuit breaker panel. The hard part was snaking wires through the boat. See the attached .pdf file and photo of one terminal block.
20160514_191857.jpg

Attachments

Nov 4, 2018
Allen12210,
Thanks for the schematic. I'm beginning now to understand both the advantages and limits of 0183 interconnections. For the time being though, I think I'm going to keep things simple. Major planned project for next season is a full AIS system. Then would be the time to sort this all out.

It's time to go sailing now.

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
Allen12210,
Thanks for the schematic. I'm beginning now to understand both the advantages and limits of 0183 interconnections. For the time being though, I think I'm going to keep things simple. Major planned project for next season is a full AIS system. Then would be the time to sort this all out.

It's time to go sailing now.
As you plan, remember that NMEA 0183 is 1980's technology and that NMEA 2000 is 1990s technology and NMEA just adopted an ethernet protocol.

If you are planning major network upgrades, don't waste money on ancient technology.

Nov 4, 2018
There will be some legacy devices, e.g. my Simrad WP30 wheel pilot. Does anyone make converters to NMEA 2000 or ethernet?

Jan 11, 2014
Sabre 362 113 Fair Haven, NY
There will be some legacy devices, e.g. my Simrad WP30 wheel pilot. Does anyone make converters to NMEA 2000 or ethernet?
Yes. Generally they are called bridges. If you add AIS, the Vesper XB 8000 has a built in bridge.

Search for NMEA 2000 bridges. You'll find many sources.

Nov 4, 2018
The Vesper XB 8000 is, in fact, the AIS transponder I'm considering. I was drawn to that one because it also has wifi to feed information to my computer.

May 20, 2016
Catalina 36 MK1 94 Everett, WA
yacht devices.com also makes converters - allong with antisense and martronics

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
@Red_Dog as I have posted before... Love my Vesper XB8000 decision.

In my sailing area it has proven to be a smart purchase. Note it does not solve "everything". You still need to keep your head and eyes out of the cockpit and scanning the waters.

Nov 4, 2018
jssailem,
Agreed, no electronic gizmo is a silver bullet.
I use a Panasonic Toughbook with OpenCPN as a navigational aid. Right now I have an external USB GPS antenna (Yeah, I should have ordered it with internal GPS, but forgot to add it when I ordered the computer.). The XB8000 would let me get the GPS signal via wifi, as well as AIS targets.
All that being said, below on the table are the paper charts I use the most. I also sail most of the time with the lid half shut on the computer and sail by the compass and known land marks. Occasionally, I check my location on the computer to make sure I'm where I think I am.