Need help setting up Capri 25

May 25, 2019
Catalina Capri 25 Mooresville NC
Thanks for accepting me as a member. I purchased a 1980 Capri 25 fixed keel, previous owner upgraded to a roller furling. The mast is raised but that’s all. Boom is not installed. Nothing is installed. I’ve searched for weeks trying to find any guides on setting up everything. I can tune the standing rigging myself. Everything else I need help with. Can you point me to any step by step guides please? Any help would be greatly appreciated. The previous owner is not available so I can’t ask him.

Jan 1, 2006
Slickcraft 26 Sailfish
I like that boat. I can't refer to a guide to set up but if you have all the parts (And that's not to be assumed) the next thing I would do is put the boom on. Hopefully there's a topping lift to hold the aft end of the boom up. You've got to look at the mast in the area of the boom mounting and the boom end that is at the mast. It should be somewhat obvious how they mate. Next go for the mainsheet because on unrestrained boom is a bit dangerous. I can't say much more without pictures of the hardware you have. BTW the spreaders seem to be angled down instead of up.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
I found this link that will at least give you access to the owners manual (assuming you don’t already have it).

http://www.catalina-capri-25s.org/manbro/manbro.asp

The manual has a photo of the traveler setup at the stern so that should help with getting the main sheet setup. Of course your boat might have been modified here as well (hard to tell without more pictures.)
In the photo it also looks like the rudder isn’t mounted, might be a relatively simple place to start.

I faced a similar problem with my first keelboat, lots of lines, pulleys and odd shaped bits. I asked an experienced sailor to come to the boat and help and after a few hours of head scratching and laughing at each other we had it rigged. I waited for a gentle breeze day before I went out to determine if we had it right, ended up “fixing” a few items and never looked back.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Our club has an active racing fleet of 30 Capri 25s, but none post here. If you have a specific question I’ll pass it along. I see them every day.

May 25, 2019
On the Catalina 22 the rudder is removable. It’s attached to the transom. On 25’s it goes through the floor of the cockpit. It’s only visible if you’re standing next to the stern.

My biggest concern is properly attaching the boom to the mast. I’ll grab a couple pictures so you can see what I’m talking about.

Sep 22, 2018
Hunter 216 Kingston
Interesting didn’t know that about the 25. Counts as my learn something new each day!

Photos will definitely help.

It would also help if you could provide a little background on your sailing experience as it would set the communication level.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Besides the owner’s manual, Royce’s Sailing Illustrated will familiarize you with topping lifts, boom vangs, turnbuckles, chainplates, tillers, rudders, keels, dagger boards, center boards, barney posts, halyards, sheets, shrouds, cunninghams, pintels, gudgeons, jammers, travelers, cams, bailers, shackles, split rings, blocks, cleats, clutches, winches, goosenecks, outhauls, downhauls... whew! Gotta catch my breath! Shackles! Did I say shackles? I already said shackles.

Specific boats have specific rigging, but once you understand rigging, every boat makes sense very quickly. Then, you can make the boat do what you want! I read Royce’s when I bought my US1 in ‘85. It was a wreck, but Royce’s made it make sense. I put that thing together and sailed the hell out of it!

Try Royce’s if you are unsure what all the rigging does.

May 25, 2019
Besides the owner’s manual, Royce’s Sailing Illustrated will familiarize you with topping lifts, boom vangs, turnbuckles, chainplates, tillers, rudders, keels, dagger boards, center boards, barney posts, halyards, sheets, shrouds, cunninghams, pintels, gudgeons, jammers, travelers, cams, bailers, shackles, split rings, blocks, cleats, clutches, winches, goosenecks, outhauls, downhauls... whew! Gotta catch my breath! Shackles! Did I say shackles? I already said shackles.

Specific boats have specific rigging, but once you understand rigging, every boat makes sense very quickly. Then, you can make the boat do what you want! I read Royce’s when I bought my US1 in ‘85. It was a wreck, but Royce’s made it make sense. I put that thing together and sailed the hell out of it!

Try Royce’s if you are unsure what all the rigging does.
Thanks. That’s just what I need. The terminology is killing me

May 25, 2019
Time to update. I understand the boom is supposed to slide up and down in its channel. My question is more about the mast. There’s a large slot to insert the boom gooseneck. There are about 8 holes around this slot as if some kind of plate is supposed to be attached. I posted a picture. Far below that is a screw. Is this to prevent the boom from sliding down too far? I attached a picture.

I also attached pictures of the gooseneck assembly and the back stay. You can see it’s a split back stay. I assume the little carriage assembly is to adjust tension on the back stay while you’re sailing.

Attachments

Last edited:
May 25, 2019
My sailing experience is with small boats like sunfish. Nothing this size. Nothing with 2 sails. I belong to a great club that is extremely active. They constantly encourage new members to ride along with older members so they can learn. My learning curve may be steep but I have a great support network. Lake Norman Yacht Club in Mooresville, NC. It’s a very active racing community.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
The boom is connected to a gooseneck that can be fitted in the mast track, but you should rig a downhaul to hold it in place at the least. The gooseneck is commonly bolted in place at the limit of the luff.