Using a Lazy Bag

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Hello all, this is my first experience using a Neil Pryde Lazy Bag. When I had Lazy Jacks and a sail cover, I had to loosen the jacks when raising the main because the battens would catch. With a Lazy Bag, the battens are catching, as you do not loosen the lines. Is this the way it is?

I have not sailed with it yet, but again, the jacks were always loose. Are the tight lines on a Lazy Bag going to interfere with the sail shape??

Thanks!

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
I have a Mac Sails Mac Pack and Lazy Jacks. I will usually loosen the lazy jacks before shoving off so 1) I don’t catch a batten and 2) so the jacks don’t push on the sail when sail is up.

Greg

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Beneteau 323 Manistee, MI
I have had a Lazy Bag for all the time I have owned my boat. I had to be careful when hoisting the sail at least to the point of being directly into the apparent wind, otherwise the lower battens would catch if the sail was flogging. Easing the jacks does help.
I had battens that protruded from the ends of the pockets so I clipped just enough off the battens to keep them inside the leech. That helped considerably.

Jan 10, 2018
Beneteau 331 Halifax
Thank you, I must do that - clip the battens a bit. It seemed to go up much better when into the wind directly.

Is it Ok when sailing? Doesn't the fullness of the main press against the jack lines?

What do you do with your main halyard? With the typical cover, it was held tight against the mast - no need to tie off anywhere and you could tighten the halyard. Is there a third strap at the top end by the boom to tie it off?

Thanks!

Rick D

Jun 14, 2008
Hunter Legend 40.5 Shoreline Marina Long Beach CA
My sailmaker's recommendation for my UK sail bag was to loosen the jacks up about 6" before raising it. It seems to work well.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Is it Ok when sailing? Doesn't the fullness of the main press against the jack lines?

What do you do with your main halyard? With the typical cover, it was held tight against the mast - no need to tie off anywhere and you could tighten the halyard. Is there a third strap at the top end by the boom to tie it off?

Thanks!
Yes, easing the jacks keeps them from pressing the main out of shape. You can also lower them completely and pull them up to the mast to keep them out of the way. I would only do this on a long sail.

I take my halyard off the headboard and clip it to a spot on my shroud or a stanchion. Also keeps the halyard from banging on the mast all night ;-)

Greg

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
Blue, do you have a roller main- like Doug M? I do not, though I have the same boat. I can keep the lazy jacks tight and raise sail. Loosening them lets the wind blow them all over the place. OH, yeah, I have full battens, and that really helps. I take many new folks sailing. I have them steer, and it is good practice to keep into the wind so the sail goes up without a hitch. I tell them to watch the sail going up and stay a course to keep the main centered. It's easy enough.

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Blue, do you have a roller main- like Doug M? .
Just to keep the record straight for what its worth, I do not have a roller main. I have a conventional original equipment loose footed main with 3/4 battens.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Do the tops of your lazy jacks attach to the sides of your mast? Attaching them about 1 foot outboard on a set of spreaders works wonders for that problem. The wider slot keeps the battens from getting caught.

Aug 3, 2012
Performance Cruising Telstar 28 302 Watkins Glen
Usually only the first batten or two gets caught, and only if you are a little off the wind. Keeping the boat head into the wind and steering the boom with a free hand can keep those first battens free. Loosening the jacks helps too.

Jan 22, 2008
Sorry Doug, I was thinking we were "top-drawer" all the way, but actually I have the same as you. . When I redid my B323 setup to route all lines to the cabin top, I put twisted D shackles in the trailing edge of the spreaders where the lines previously just ran through those holes. I took the JL lines above the spreader, combined them into a halyard goin up to a mast opening, then down to the deck. Trouble was, real halyard caught on the now not-used eye. I was , today, having a few of my ROMEO-Tuesday-Lunch- Bunch friends come to take those eyes off and change the steaming bulb. I just might move the LJ a foot farther out as long as the drill is up there. BUT, the system works fine as it now is, just could be better.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Do the tops of your lazy jacks attach to the sides of your mast? Attaching them about 1 foot outboard on a set of spreaders works wonders for that problem. The wider slot keeps the battens from getting caught.
The lazy jack lines are threaded through ferrules in the spreaders about a foot outboard of the mast, then to blocks attached to the sides of the mast. Those lines are cleated to the mast at about boom level.

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
The lazy jack lines are threaded through ferrules in the spreaders about a foot outboard of the mast, then to blocks attached to the sides of the mast. Those lines are cleated to the mast at about boom level.
That’s the way to do it!

Jan 22, 2008
Probably for $$$ reasons, Beneteau stopped using the ferruls and leading the line through blocks and down to boom-level. SO, changes from your year to my 2006.

Last edited:

DougM

Jul 24, 2005
Hey Ron, my mast is newer than yours due to that winter dismasting two years ago.
06083161-56AD-40F2-87CF-4980F1A43376.jpeg