Boat lines and rigging

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I know there is so many variations and personal preferences on line types and sizing but would like to hear your thoughts.
How beneficial is it to pay the extra for the XLS instead of the SLS in the Samson brand ?
Is there a suggested standard colour pattern ? something that makes things easier for Halyards, Reef 1, Reef 2, Spin, Topping

I am replacing a bunch of worn lines on a new to me 1991 35.5 Hunter Legend and would like to be as organized as possible.
Also the charts I have found on sizing are Halyard 7/16 but was thinking of upping to 1/2. Any other suggestions are welcome

Cheers

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Line size is personal to a point. That is the size of your sheaves in the mast. Measure the size of the sheave and fit the line inside that dimension. To big of a line and you get friction as the line too big for the sheave rubs on all the areas outside of th sheave.

Colors are anything you want. Traditionally red is Port and green is Starboard, but there are no hard and fast rules. Just be able to remember the colors so you can tell your crew which line to release or hold fast.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Just be able to remember the colors so you can tell your crew which line to release or hold fast.
Ditto here. Original reefing lines remain the same flecked colors; red port, green ... No worries about colors on our boat, crew consisting of me, myself and I, AKA, short handed sailing. Even so our crew at times will become confused, should they release or hold fast, then the blame game begins when matters fall apart.

Dec 31, 2011
Hunter 40.5 Seattle
as others have said, I found that clearly differentiated colors are helpful when you have new/rotating crew. Also I was guilty of going with oversized lines, found that a size down (still within load range) with less stretch make handling them a lot easier and everything is smoother.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
I will assume all your lines are organized and run back to the cockpit? Also pass through rope clutches? Just label the clutches, and choose whatever color scheme you desire. Jib sheets don’t matter much with respect to color, especially if your using a single line cow hitched or soft shackled to the clew of the headsail.

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Canonshooter - try this guy in Nova Scotia, I've used him twice to refit both the 35.5 and the 40.5. Great guy to deal with and great service. Splices, etc. were great.
Cajunrope.com

Feb 21, 2013
Hunter 46 Point Richmond, CA
The attached excerpt from Samson provides guidance on line selection. I use low stretch XLS for halyards, outhaul, topping lift, boom vang and traveler. Since I use the halyards and topping lift to climb the mast (one to climb/hoist and other for safety) so I did not want a line that would stretch. As far as size, with XLS on halyards, for example, you can use a lower diameter halyard than Hunter recommends as I did on my Hunter 386.

Attachments

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
The attached excerpt from Samson provides guidance on line selection. I use low stretch XLS for halyards, outhaul, topping lift, boom vang and traveler. Since I use the halyards and topping lift to climb the mast (one to climb/hoist and other for safety) so I did not want a line that would stretch. As far as size, with XLS on halyards, for example, you can use a lower diameter halyard than Hunter recommends as I did on my Hunter 386.
Great Article, Thank You

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
Thanks, I will look him up. Are you coming up for the Moncton boat show ?
Yes, we're thinking about going to the show, Not much there in the way of sailing but I believe the Binnacle is supposed to have a booth so we may go just to save ourselves a trip to Halifax.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I’d color code lines by sail and function.

Mainsail functions
Main halyard white
Mainsheet and Vang white or a different color than everything else that stands out, for quick depower if something goes catywumpus.
Reef one white with fleck color 1
Reef two white with fleck 2
Topping lift white w fleck 3
Outhaul white with fleck 4 (you May not need to color code if it stays on the boom)
Cunningham etc

Jib and Genoa
halyard blue
Sheets blue with fleck color1

Spinnaker
Halyard Red
Sheets red with fleck1
Tack line red with fleck 2

Code zero
Halyard black
Sheets black with fleck or white with black fleck

Or something like that. ... the color codes on my current boat were chosen according to what was on sale. I chose the Main sail and code zero Halyard colors first, because those are the lowest stretch and therefore the most expensive.

(Edit: Your halyard requirements may vary according to how you use your boat. Cruisers can use basic cruising halyards for everything except code zeros. Code zero halyards must handle loads that are twice as big as a Genoa)

Next priority for me in terms of low stretch was the jib/Genoa halyard.

Spinnaker halyard can be a bit more stretchy. Spinnaker sheets should be small light weigh and preferably not hold water.

Judy

Last edited:
Jul 27, 2011
Bavaria 38E Alamitos Bay
I know there is so many variations and personal preferences on line types and sizing but would like to hear your thoughts.
How beneficial is it to pay the extra for the XLS instead of the SLS in the Samson brand ?
Is there a suggested standard colour pattern ? something that makes things easier for Halyards, Reef 1, Reef 2, Spin, Topping

I am replacing a bunch of worn lines on a new to me 1991 35.5 Hunter Legend and would like to be as organized as possible.
Also the charts I have found on sizing are Halyard 7/16 but was thinking of upping to 1/2. Any other suggestions are welcome

Cheers
IMHO, these days, with all the possible combinations of rope materials and low stretch options, you might consider conversing with folks in a rigging shop, or with a free-lance rigger. These folks can really set you up w/ what you need.

Last edited: