Car Navigation Deck on Boat

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
That's incredibly unlikely. While remote viewing via a slave screen might be possible, a return data channel that contains Input/screen institution from a remote device that the host most act on is really impossible, unless designed into the system. Even it it was, it is unlikely that information would be shared with 3rd parties, or users.
I meant an aftermarket usb touch overlay. He would basically end up with two touch overlays on one screen -- One for the computer and another one native to the head unit. They would probably both need to be resistive

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Anything can be done, your technical skills at hacking embedded code that you don't have external access to, in closed platforms needs to be pretty good.
LOL understatement of the CENTURY. ;^)

capta

Jun 4, 2009
Pearson 530 Admiralty Bay, Bequia SVG
I meant an aftermarket usb touch overlay. He would basically end up with two touch overlays on one screen -- One for the computer and another one native to the head unit. They would probably both need to be resistive
If your time is worth only 10 cents a minute, it sounds lke you are going to be thousands of dollars into this MacGyvered piece of junk, not counting parts, when you coulda bought one for a lot less and spent your time on your brightwork or some other equally useful endeavour.
Sorry.

Sep 24, 2018
O'Day 25 Chicago
Anything can be done, your technical skills at hacking embedded code that you don't have external access to, in closed platforms needs to be pretty good. There's a challenge that will likely cost, what, 5, 6 times the cost of a Garmin display, and certainly won't pass the Martha Stewart test. (not matchee matchee)
I think this sums up what most of us are thinking. It's possible, but is it really worth it?

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
I think this sums up what most of us are thinking. It's possible, but is it really worth it?
No. Just to be clear, what you are describing is impossible. You're talking about fundamentally changing how two different closed systems act, and creating a communication mechanism that gives the newly-created 'system' a capability (remote screen access) that was not part of either devices design.

Unless you are willing to re-program the basic hardware from scratch, forget about it.

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
There's shows based around people doing stupid/dangerous stuff
What? YouTube or Hollywood shows? Edited? This is the criteria for development and installation of electronics being used for the safe passage of a ship and crew?

Darwin would be pleased that his theory is still being proved.

Aug 1, 2011
Catalina 270 255 Wabamun. Welcome to the marina
Indeed it qualifies neither as stupid or dangerous. The skillset required for personal injury using a skateboard are about as far removed from this kind of activity as you can get. This endeavour won't even qualify as time well wasted.

Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
Darwin would be pleased that his theory is still being proved.
On the contrary.
It is almost unbelievable how survivable being stupid History has proved it to be.
Meriachee is right about this particular case though. Our OP has the reasonable thought that there might be a way and asked the question. Even if it isn't reasonable to attempt, it is rational to consider the issue and ask for opinions.

-Will (Dragonfly)

May 16, 2017
Pearson 10 Meter 39 Westport Ma
Gheesh
I am not quite sure how I've ended up on an episode ofJackass.
The most dangerous thing I do is take the launch out to my boat .
Darwin would be pleased.
My time is probably worth 10 cents an hour, but the most ambitious change in the device I will make is turning up the volume while watching Moana on the little screen with my granddaughters.
Thanks, all.