Sliding steering wheel

Mar 16, 2019
Bemetau Oceanis 350 Kristiansand
the steering wheel on mye Beneteau 350 (1997) is sliding back and forth in the pedestal. I cannot see what is missing or if anyting is actually missing on the axle. Should the chain be moved forward or should there be a sleeve or something stopping the axle to slide?
I very much appreciate some up-dates on this.

upload_2019-3-25_19-4-11.png

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
If it's sliding back and forth, one of the locking rings (circlips) is probably broken. Check the brand of pedestal and try to find the manual on Google if not on this site. Looks to me like there is a circlip on the shaft, +/- 3/8'' aft of the chain. My guess is the chain should be against that circlip with shaft pushed forward. If shaft cannot be pushed then chain has to be aligned against it. And there must be a notch somewhere to install a circlip and prevent back and forth movement. That notch & circlip would be inside against the body of the pedestal. Good luck

Mar 16, 2019
Thank you. I will look for the pedestal brandname. Hopefully it is still there :)

Dec 14, 2003
Hunter 34 Lake of Two Mountains, QC, Can
Thank you. I will look for the pedestal brandname. Hopefully it is still there :)
Look at the base of the pedestal it might be casted in it. With you being in Norway, chances are the boat was built in France and not in the USA. If that is the case, pedestal could be a French one made by Goiot. If built in the USA, could be an Edson.
Good luck.

Mar 20, 2016
Beneteau 351 WYC Whitby
Looking at the photo closely ,it looks like the cir-clip is sitting on the shaft just in front of the hole. It needs to move back past the hole into the groove in the shaft stopping the shaft from sliding back

Mar 16, 2019
Looking at the photo closely ,it looks like the cir-clip is sitting on the shaft just in front of the hole. It needs to move back past the hole into the groove in the shaft stopping the shaft from sliding back
Done! Thank you Mechone.