H260 Single line reefing

Nov 14, 2018
Hunter 26 / 33.5 Eden isle, Greer’s ferry lake
So everything is available. Next question. Is it worth the effort. Looks like it should eliminate the needed to get to the mast. All from cockpit? Rog

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Yes, absolutely. I never go to the mast during any reefing effort. Everything gets done from the cockpit.

Jun 25, 2004
Corsair F24 Mk1 003 San Francisco Bay, CA
I'd suggest using very light weight composite blocks at reef points, rather than clew blocks. Clew blocks are very much more expensive and weigh more than a reefing block needs to.

Heavy blocks make the cloth flog harder, which breaks down the sailcloth faster.

I'd pick a block that attaches via webbing or lashing. Like the Rutgerson webbing block shown below (around $20-25 in a 50mm size and 112 gms weigh) or a Harken T2 (around $40-45 for a 57mm block, but only 57 grams)

From Rutgerson's sailmaker's catalog:
upload_2019-3-27_12-5-19.png

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017
Hunter Legend 260 Epidavros
Not sure of your sail/boat size but a cheaper alternative is to have one or a pair of flat looped tapes stitched to main so they pull from different directions so to spread the load. The loops want to just pass through the cringle say from stb to port side so you can get a shackle through the loops and just hang a plain pulley block that will suit the sail size.
Dr Judy has beat me to it with a perfect photo of what I was trying to describe.

Nov 14, 2018
Well it looks like I’ve found a winter project. Next step will b to find a sail loft somewhere close to Arkansas. I have an H26 and I think the rest of what I need is already in place. I’m new on the docks at Eden isle but I bet someone will point me in the right direction. Dr Judy your picture and info will make this both doable and enjoyable. You too Gunni. Thanks all. Rog

Gunni

Mar 16, 2010
Beneteau 411 Oceanis Annapolis
Rog, don't hesitate to consider sail lofts outside your area. Plenty of people ship their sails off for work.
G

Nov 14, 2018
Probably be December before I do this but I will keep option open. These r Mack sails. Might send it back to them. Good advice. Thanks. Rog

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
I wanted a single line reefing line but realized that a two sheet reef line was simpler and required little modification .
I purchases a harken composite block with no metal and attached it to the reefing loop, ran the sheet to the reefing horns . For the leach ran a longer line back and down and added two extra blocks too the mast foot.
This system works but am thinking off attaching a cleat to the rear of the boom for easier clearing.

Jun 25, 2004
I wanted a single line reefing line but realized that a two sheet reef line was simpler and required little modification .
I purchases a harken composite block with no metal and attached it to the reefing loop, ran the sheet to the reefing horns . For the leach ran a longer line back and down and added two extra blocks too the mast foot.
This system works but am thinking off attaching a cleat to the rear of the boom for easier clearing.
Have you considered adding cleats to the boom above the companionway, rather than further aft? With a properly set up reefing system, you should be able to reef while sailing on a broad reach, with the mainsail luffing. If you put the cleat for the aft reef line too far aft, you won’t be able to reach it. If you put the cleat further forward, you can reach it standing at the front of the cockpit, even when the boom is outside the cockpit.

JudyB

Apr 8, 2013
Hunter 260 Nanaimo
yes that is a good idea .
I find the aft reef line running thru the boom and routed aft has too much friction, not for reefing but for shaking out.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
What was not covered and a big part of this scenario is to be able if single handed is to reef without leaving the tiller or the wheel. Using a eye strap secured to the forward portion stbd of boom, you can run a single reef line up thru the reef grommet and down to a fixed curved base cheek block for example by schaeffeer attached to the forward port side of the boom. Then run the line aft to another cheek block same style up to the aft reef grommet and back down to another cheek block aft side starboard running forward to a cleat.

The second part of this equation is the capability to release and lock the rope clutch. The poster has the original Spinlock style rope clutch which means he will have to go forward to lower the sail and if solo sailing this is dangerous. I have suggested that he look at as examples the Harken swivel cam cleat 240/241 and Spinlock PXR0810 (will require a riser to tilt that up in order to allow you to pull back and downward to lock that down)
I am not sure but the original spinlock rope clutch has a handle. I thought they made one like it that will raise up and down. If anyone has that style, can you post the specific brand and mfg. number please. @Kermit, what it it on your boat

All of this is predicated on reefing while into the wind and of course single handed.

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
I have a single line. I hardly ever reef. I don’t feel like I know a whole heckuva lot about it. And I certainly don’t feel qualified to discuss reefing. But I’ve done it successfully.

Jun 25, 2004
To leave the helm when sailing solo, You can do one of the following a)lash the tiller or wheel on center with some spare line, b)engage the tiller clutch or wheel lock c) engage the autopilot, or d) heave-to. Then You can trim the main and trim the jib until you have balanced balance the sail plan so the boat holds a steady course.

Then you can put in the reef using the same procedures you would use if somebody were tending the helm.

Last edited:
Nov 10, 2017
What was not covered and a big part of this scenario is to be able if single handed is to reef without leaving the tiller or the wheel. Using a eye strap secured to the forward portion stbd of boom, you can run a single reef line up thru the reef grommet and down to a fixed curved base cheek block for example by schaeffeer attached to the forward port side of the boom. Then run the line aft to another cheek block same style up to the aft reef grommet and back down to another cheek block aft side starboard running forward to a cleat.

The second part of this equation is the capability to release and lock the rope clutch. The poster has the original Spinlock style rope clutch which means he will have to go forward to lower the sail and if solo sailing this is dangerous. I have suggested that he look at as examples the Harken swivel cam cleat 240/241 and Spinlock PXR0810 (will require a riser to tilt that up in order to allow you to pull back and downward to lock that down)
I am not sure but the original spinlock rope clutch has a handle. I thought they made one like it that will raise up and down. If anyone has that style, can you post the specific brand and mfg. number please. @Kermit, what it it on your boat

All of this is predicated on reefing while into the wind and of course single hand

Thank you for your time and trouble Dave, and all the other formuites that have contributed, much appreciated.
I think I can follow your instructions without more visuals.
I feel with the different ideas I will try some jury rigs out, yours, others and mine and see what works the best for me
The most important point for me is that by majority there is a positive consensus that it is possible to do a single line reefing system and I can proceed from here.
I will of course be sure to inform you all of my progress of this project.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
This was based on former boats I sold that worked knowing the boat well and what you confirmed what was on board looking at everything if single handed in a severe storem that comes up suddenly.
It also depended on the gear you have at this time on board and the knowledge of the boat which I have

Nov 10, 2017
I have a single line. I hardly ever reef. I don’t feel like I know a whole heckuva lot about it. And I certainly don’t feel qualified to discuss reefing. But I’ve done it successfully.
Good to know you'll never commit HariKari Kermit:biggrin:

Nov 10, 2017
This was based on former boats I sold that worked knowing the boat well and what you confirmed what was on board looking at everything if single handed in a severe storem that comes up suddenly.
It also depended on the gear you have at this time on board and the knowledge of the boat which I have

My knowledge of the boat type is limited Dave and it's obvious it'll never be in your league but my engineering abilities could be assumed of being vast.
My weather knowledge I also consider to be extensive and definitely know for it not to be treated with contempt. I have no intentions of being on the water in such as a storm, at worst the odd wind acceleration zone with some weather helm, hence a reef.
Where I am after a very busy life is just to take it easy and chill. My days of adrenaline hypes are well past . . . . I hope, but thanks for the concern.

Jun 8, 2004
-na -NA Anywhere USA
You asked and I provided information. I do not know your experience nor capabilities; therefore it is your boat and you have various ideas which you need to decide what way you want to go. As for storms, I have been caught in in unforeseen storms that suddenly came up along with others. Good luck

Kermit

Jul 31, 2010
AquaCat 12.5 17342 Wateree Lake, SC
93A5D91B-1ABD-4BC2-837B-6CD1AB75B373.jpeg
Oh, I do have this on my boom. But even with the picture I can’t get it rigged back the way the guy I bought it from had it. The purple line is the reefing line.

Nov 10, 2017
View attachment 163175 Oh, I do have this on my boom. But even with the picture I can’t get it rigged back the way the guy I bought it from had it. The purple line is the reefing line.
I sort of get this even though a little over done with the track, what do you have at the gooseneck end of the boom, the same?