Max-Prop Reconditioning

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Yes, I sent them the same vid.. basically said "seen worse, will know more when we look at it". So planning to send it in and see what happens.

Oct 2, 2008
Pearson/ 530 Strafford, NH
We’ve had our Max prop, thanks to the PO, I don’t know how old it is but we’ve put nine years and over 25,000 sea miles from Maine to the Bahamas every year. The first thing I do when we haul every year is grease the prop. I pump the grease until all water and dark grease is squeezed out. Then turn the blades back and forth to spread grease inside until I’m satisfied. Then I change the zinc, never happy with the way they erode or if the screws are missing. Then lightly brush the blades before painting again with zinc paint. (Does the painting isolate the blades from pitting? I’m satisfied with my results). Before we launch I regrease the prop until I’m satisfied.

arf145

Nov 4, 2010
Beneteau 331 Deale, MD
I follow the same routine as @All U Get. We also have our MaxProp thanks to the PO, and I love the thing--I know it helps in the light air we frequently see on the Chesapeake.

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
Quick update. PYI quoted me $750 for refurbishing my Max Prop (that a local prop shop said was "shot" and beyond repair) which included new cone gear and spacers, plus all the hw/fasteners to re-assemble. PYI said the prop was in better than average condition, the blades were very "thick", and would last many more years. That will teach me to take a max-prop to a Vari-Prop dealer for service. But tbh, kinda shocked the Vari-prop guy would be so dishonest in the interest of selling me a new prop. Looking forwards to getting my now, "like new", prop back from PYI!

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
So I'm pretty damn happy with how my Max Prop came out after refurbishing @ PYI. They told me it was in pretty good shape for starters (definitely not "shot") and with proper care (greasing 2x year) it should last another 10+ years. I have not re-installed yet (waiting on more parts for rest of drive train improvements), but figured I'd share a couple of pics. Note that I already man handled the hub with greasy hands so this is not exactly how it came back to me. But it looks show room new.

Attachments

Last edited:

Bob S

Sep 27, 2007
Beneteau 393 New Bedford, MA
Wondering if they would sell the parts to refurbish yourself? I will be doing mine when I replace the Cutlass Bearing.

Jul 19, 2013
Pearson 31-2 Boston
I was very pleased with my one experience with a MaxProp and PYI. The idea of switching from a MaxProp back to a fixed blade sort of blows my brain. That said, I think the issue is that PYI's ad should say "Your reconditioned propeller will WORK like new at a much lower cost", rather than "Your reconditioned propeller will LOOK like new at a much lower cost.

Jan 9, 2020
J J/42 1 New Castle NH
That said, I think the issue is that PYI's ad should say "Your reconditioned propeller will WORK like new at a much lower cost", rather than "Your reconditioned propeller will LOOK like new at a much lower cost.
sadly I need to wait 5 months to confirm it will work like new, but I'll let folks know. As part of this project (and the expected creep), I'm doing cutless bearing (duramax), new engine mounts and drivesaver. So a few more variables, but I expect the prop to be the least of my concerns.