Replacing Blocks on mast step Hunter 355

Aug 14, 2011
Hunter 35.5 Legend PCYC Shediac, NB
I just bought my Hunter Legend 355 and planning on a few upgrades before spring launch. The blocks at the mast step seem a little worse for wear.
Looking for suggestions on best affordable replacement model i should consider.
Also whats the easiest method to replace them ? Do i have to unbolt the mast step in order to replace ?

Attachments

Jan 22, 2008
Beneteau 323 Annapolis MD
[QUOTE="Canonshooternb, post: 1511253, member: 106608... Also whats the easiest method to replace them ? Do i have to unbolt the mast step in order to replace ?[/QUOTE]

They are built like the Beneteau blocks. Without lines through the block, you should be able to unscrew it CCW from the bolt that is in that notch on the bottom. Leave the nut to replace the block, or get a fresh one. BaconSails.com has 4 or 5 of those blocks(grey) . The stud is 3/8 or larger- maybe a 1/2? I can look for the price/size this week. And the cost. I'm very sure they are used, but they spin. I was thinking of upping the size of mine with them, but those would not fit my mast step notches/bolts. I'm sure you could get them from the Beneteau parts site if you want new or to get a cost estimate. Someone on the forum just got a battery switch from B, so maybe could look at a B 36 to get an appropriate sizing?

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
would you mind sharing a better top-down picture of the wiring through the deck?? would help with a project I'm working

Jul 19, 2007
-Hunter 1995-40.5 Hunter Saint Andrews, New Brunswick, Canada
You can get all those blocks on this site from the owners association.

Aug 14, 2011
I haven't been able to locate them sold on this site. So do these blocks just unscrew ? I am unable to check now as the boat is tarped for the winter.

Dec 25, 2000
Hunter Passage 42 Shelter Bay, WA
Looking for suggestions on best affordable replacement model i should consider.
Ours are Garhauer blocks, which look similar to yours. Replaced the reef blocks a few years ago with the same brand. Our sheaves were shot. No need to unbolt the step plate. Our blocks are what they call open end. That way you just remove the ring clip, slide the pin out and replace with the new block. The stud that extends through the plate does not change.

Reef block9.jpg

Reef block8.jpg

Unsure about the size, but maybe 2.5" in diameter. I sent this picture to Garhauer along with the dimensions and they sent the right block.

Aug 14, 2011
The blocks that I have actually thread into a nut on the bottom of the step. Can you buy replacement studs ?

Sep 30, 2017
Hunter 34 Gunpower Neck - Aberdeen, MD
Thank you for posting the top-down picture! very helpful. We are removing our mast for the first time since we've owned the boat this weekend, to install a Raymarine wind vane wire, spreader deck lights and inspect the rigging.