Propane tanks that fit the c22 New Design Fuel Locker

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
In considering outboards, I like the idea of the Tohatsu propane, but I really want to find a way to keep the fuel in the fuel locker rather than hanging on the rail. (This is the boat with the isolated-from-below locker, which has two cutouts in the lid down low leading to the aft scuppers.)

In much internet searching the ONLY tank I've found that even fits in the locker is this one:
https://www.defender.com/product.jsp?id=59110 but it's bigger than I need and more $$$ than I wanted.

Even the smallest vertical ones are < 0.5" too tall, since the locker is 11.5" high, 15" deep and 22.4" long.

Has anybody found another? Thank you!

Oct 21, 2015
Catalina 22 Lafayette, IN
I have the same problem. I did buy the Tohatsu propane and like the engine, but all the tanks are just a smidgen too tall. I found what I thought was a good, used, slightly shorter tank at a propane dealer. But when they tried to fit the new overfill-protection valve into the slightly shorter (11") tank it didn't fit. I suspect that is the problem.
There are some horizontal tanks that might fit, but they are very pricey! My solution so far is to use 1 lb tanks while sailing locally (they fit in the fuel locker) and carry a larger tank in the stern of the cockpit while cruising. I am thinking of modifying the fuel locker this winter (possible by removing the cover and installing a new one), but haven't gotten far with the idea yet. I sailed a (rented) Marlow Hunter 22 that had room in the fuel locker for 2 propane tanks (can't find a picture). I had hoped the C-22 would work as well. Good luck, let me know what you do, and I'll post my progress.
Mike

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
Thanks pateco, those are the two closest matches, but the locker is just barely 11.5".
Mike, how much run time do you get with the 1lb (those are the little bottles, right?)

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
If you are putting tanks below hope you got a powered vent for the heavier than air gas!

Sep 14, 2014
Catalina 22 Pensacola, Florida
Course now I am assuming they are filled with LPG, or propane or butane. If natural gas (methane) its ok because it is lighter than air and will passively vent if you allow it.

Oct 21, 2015
Thanks pateco, those are the two closest matches, but the locker is just barely 11.5".
Mike, how much run time do you get with the 1lb (those are the little bottles, right?)
Not sure. I am going out next week to run a bottle dry. So far I use the engine pretty much to get in and out of a harbor. No more than 20 minutes at a time, and usually near idle. I'll let you know when I run my "test".
Mike

Oct 21, 2015
If you are putting tanks below hope you got a powered vent for the heavier than air gas!
Thanks...I am aware of that.
Tanks are ALWAYS kept outside. Either sitting in the open cockpit near the stern, inside the sealed (but vented to the outside) fuel locker or on the transom. I always shut the gas off at the top of the tank when not in use. That way there isn't any chance of a leak.
Mike

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Regarding fit (height), if you only need 1/2" or less, why not take it to a machine shop (empty of course), cut off the top ("handle" perimeter) the necessary amount, might take 5 minutes on a metal bandsaw, file/grind it smooth, spray paint, done. The valve handle on the Worthington tank appears to be at least that below the top from the pic, no need to modify the boat....or am I missing something?

Oct 21, 2015
Regarding fit (height), if you only need 1/2" or less, why not take it to a machine shop (empty of course), cut off the top ("handle" perimeter) the necessary amount, might take 5 minutes on a metal bandsaw, file/grind it smooth, spray paint, done. The valve handle on the Worthington tank appears to be at least that below the top from the pic, no need to modify the boat....or am I missing something?
Thought about that. Reputable propane dealers will NOT refill an altered tank though. Not sure I could make it look "stock".

Mike

May 23, 2016
Catalina 22 #12502 BSC
Thought about that. Reputable propane dealers will NOT refill an altered tank though. Not sure I could make it look "stock".

Mike
good point, I think I'd try it anyway, minimal expense to do, and the tank body itself is not altered...if that plan fails, you've wasted little, rather than buying a $300+ horizontal tank....

Oct 21, 2015
good point, I think I'd try it anyway, minimal expense to do, and the tank body itself is not altered...if that plan fails, you've wasted little, rather than buying a $300+ horizontal tank....
I doubt I'll ever buy the horizontal tank. Since I always use cushions over the cockpit seats, my first experiment is to remove the fuel locker cover and build a replacement that gives me the necessary room. I do a lot of fiberglass construction, and it should be fairly easy. The fiberglass on the "stock" fuel locker cover is fairly thick. I'm hoping that any difference in thickness will be covered over by the cushions. I'd like it to look like the locker as shown on the MH-22. Rented this (type) of boat that had 2 propane tanks right in the locker.
It'll be a good winter project!
mh22.png

Mike

Attachments

Jul 28, 2018
Catalina 22 TX
Not sure. I am going out next week to run a bottle dry. So far I use the engine pretty much to get in and out of a harbor. No more than 20 minutes at a time, and usually near idle. I'll let you know when I run my "test".
Mike
Does one need an adapter for the 1lb bottles?

Oct 21, 2015
I saw that out there. From what specs I can find, it is still too tall for the fuel locker. And one thing I don't like is that there isn't a shutoff valve. When I shut down my engine, I turn it off at the valve thereby relieving the pressure in the line and lessening the chance of an accidental leak.