Hunter 410, Mainsail Outhaul Car

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
Hunter 410 Severna Park, MD MD
Hello,

I have a 1998 410 with in-mast furled mainsail. This rig uses an outhaul car mounted to a track on the topside of the boom. When the sail comes out, naturally the pressure is to raise the luff end which exerts upward pressure on this car which causes friction, degrades the ball bearings in the car, and eventually binds making the car impossible to pull out using the outhaul sheet. I have replaced the balls once and that wasn't too hard but there has to be a better way. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
do yo have a pulley in the sail and the outhaul goes tru it and back to the car ? if not that is your problem. Mine works just great that way.

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
I think mine comes from the end of the boom, through the car pulley up to the sail, then back down to the car. Do I have it rigged wrong?

Feb 14, 2014
Hunter 430 Waveland, MS
My outhaul car haul has had no problems.:clap:

I don't move the outhaul car with any wind in the sail.
Not much force on the car that way.;)
Jim...

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
I also head into the wind, however, the force comes between the furled sail and the force of pulling it out. The force is excerted between the sail and the car pulling the car up and away from the boom track.

Oct 29, 2016
Hunter 41 DS Port Huron
I have found when furling the main outward I release the boom vang/kicker raise the boom with the topping lift to approximately 10-15* at which point there is little to no strain on the out haul car and makes the main actually slide out rather easily, I still working on perfecting the furling of the main, I have had creases near the top of the main as it goes in, which makes it a capital "B" to furl out later.

jsmac

Jan 22, 2008
Hey Daydreamer, that's a great idea I had not considered. However, my preventer is old and fouled, has been since I purchased the boat a few years back, so I can't raise or lower the boom. Something I've been thinking of rectifying but since I don't race or even sail that strictly, I'm more of a laid back sailer that if the wind is moving me nicely I'm happy.

What I've been doing is, I have a 2 ft piece of rope with a strong hook at both ends, so I release the outhaul sheet, manually pull the car to the end of the boom, then hook up the sail to the end of the boom, then pull out the main a lot easier. But this is a hassle!

Feb 10, 2017
Hunter 41 Progreso
Pulley? what's that?
sorry the word is block, you tie the outhaul at the car, then it goes up to a block attached to the sail and come back to a block attached to de car and back to the end of the boom