Lewmar Binnacle guard - 2008 Hunter 36

Sep 30, 2016
Hunter 36 Westbrook, CT
I have a 2008 Hunter 36 with a Lewmar pedestal and guard. The pedestal guard has detached at the cockpit sole and after reviewing a bit it appears to have sheared off at the base. I am looking for some help determining what needs to be done to repair. I have been in contact with Lewmar and they are doing some research on it though they don't support the base plate - probably a Hunter creation. I have also been in touch with Hunter but haven't gotten a reply yet

I have some photos that I have attached for reference. We have removed the panel just aft of the pedestal to get a better view from underneath but still can't really tell how this was originally attached. The base panel where the pedestal and guard are attached is some sort of metal.

Has anyone else seen this before and/or removed the guard from this boat before?

Oct 22, 2014
CAL 35 Cruiser #21 moored EVERETT WA
Boy @gigasloop that is an issue. You may need to open the upper section to see if the pipe can be removed. It might have been a threaded piece. If it is thin wall stainless pipe, as I suspect, then when they turned the threads the cutter ran a bit deep and the pipe eventually failed.
You can verify if you can get something into the base and reverse the pipe end out of the base.
A repair would need a machine shop like Railmakers to produce a new piece of threaded pipe. Hopefully you can get one that is made in thick wall stainless. It would hold up better.

jviss

Feb 5, 2004
Tartan 3800 20 Westport, MA
I sincerely doubt that Hunter created that base plate! Is Lewmar saying they didn't make it, or that they just don't "support" it, i.e., no replacements or repairs?

But, you know, maybe. The pedestal appears to be a Lewmar Enguard. Maybe a replacement rail will fit, if you can get the broken piece out.

Last edited: