Slightly different focus

Nov 8, 2010
Beneteau First 36.7 & 260 Minneapolis MN & Bayfield WI
Well, I can see by the BBQ that you are cruising. Or, is that a special race BBQ? :biggrin:
Oh, that sits on the dock during races. We have standards up uphold. But to be honest, last week we had a race abandoned due to lack of wind and we KNEW it was going to get scrubbed. We ALMOST brought out burgers and grilled them during the postponement. That would have been fun.

Nov 8, 2010
Glad to hear! When I had the J24, all we did was race, tow, travel, improve, race - rinse and repeat. Now with the B, we do a lot more cruising around the lake just for the heck of it. Still enjoy the racing and tinkering with the boat to make it faster, but I have found that just driving around is a pleasure too. Of course, that doesn't mean I'm not constantly trimming sails - old habits die hard! :biggrin:
I like the cruising pictures better. :) Keep 'em coming. Any chance you can get three couples on board??? :)

Great news, great hair, too. And then there's your head...:)
We can indeed! ;^)

JRacer

Aug 9, 2011
Beneteau 310 Cheney KS (Wichita)
Oh, that sits on the dock during races. We have standards up uphold. But to be honest, last week we had a race abandoned due to lack of wind and we KNEW it was going to get scrubbed. We ALMOST brought out burgers and grilled them during the postponement. That would have been fun.
That would be novel. Probably get a mention in the club's newsletter too!

Nov 8, 2010
That would be novel. Probably get a mention in the club's newsletter too!
LOL you’re right, but anywhere besides Wayzata yacht club. We actually have a OD fleet that mandates that the boat (Capri 25) has a grill on board! Used to have to be on the rail, but they changed the class rules. To many of them getting ripped off in close port/starboards !

I’m not making any of that up. Really.

Nov 30, 2015
Hunter 1978 H30 Cherubini, Treman Marina, Ithaca, NY
Nice JD, gotta love professional yacht shots. Looks just as described...Fun!!!. Sorry I’m late to the party. Cindy is a colon cancer survivor. We know the ups and downs fully too well. We don’t race, but we do have fun. Best of wishes during your treatments. Oh yeah, beautiful women on your boat...enough said.

Jan 7, 2011
Oday 322 East Chicago, IN
Nice to see you can skip being competitive from time to time. My wife hates “spirited” sails and they often end up in one of us being upset...

But this last weekend, we went out on a Saturday afternoon sail, knowing the winds would be light...and I was OK with that. I set the AP, cracked open a beer, poured her a wine and enjoyed the view. We sailed 10nm in like 4 hours;-( but not one got upset. I swam off the boat, in the very light winds. And when we came across another boat in the light winds and passed him, I felt vindicated. No wind, but I still won a race. Wife had no idea we were racing:dancing:

The slow life can be ok too!

Greg

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2017
O'Day 19 Littleton, NH
when we came across another boat in the light winds and passed him, I felt vindicated. No wind, but I still won a race.
It's been said here before and that's exactly how I remember it growing up. If there are two sailboat going the same way on the water, they are racing. Rules and judges do not a race make.

- Will (Dragonfly)

Nov 8, 2010
Nice JD, gotta love professional yacht shots. Looks just as described...Fun!!!. Sorry I’m late to the party. Cindy is a colon cancer survivor. We know the ups and downs fully too well. We don’t race, but we do have fun. Best of wishes during your treatments. Oh yeah, beautiful women on your boat...enough said.
Thx Wayne, happy to hear Cindy's winning the battle. I think we have as much fun racing as we do cruising, but its different fun we share with more people. We're lucky to have several pro photographers that live on the lake and take pics of us from time to time. JH Peterson (who captured most of the iconic AC shots from the 80s and 90s lives on lake Minnetonka and catches us from time to time.

BlueJ.jpg

Nov 8, 2010
Nice to see you can skip being competitive from time to time. My wife hates “spirited” sails and they often end up in one of us being upset...

But this last weekend, we went out on a Saturday afternoon sail, knowing the winds would be light...and I was OK with that. I set the AP, cracked open a beer, poured her a wine and enjoyed the view. We sailed 10nm in like 4 hours;-( but not one got upset. I swam off the boat, in the very light winds. And when we came across another boat in the light winds and passed him, I felt vindicated. No wind, but I still won a race. Wife had no idea we were racing:dancing:

The slow life can be ok too!

Greg
Great story! I think I can turn off the the competitive mode when I want, unless the other boat is someone I know. Wait, that's pretty much everybody! ;^) I love 'racing' boats out of the Wayzata Bay channel. It narrows and the wind gets very funky. Learn to understand its ways and you can pass boats without looking like your trying.

Nov 8, 2010
Hey, that flag's on the port quarter! :biggrin:
Get better and keep having fun.
One other point about this. I'm a big stickler for proper flag etiquette. Class flag (Green - PHRF 1) up when racing, US standard up when cruising. Never both. Its how you can tell what we're doing.

Feb 20, 2011
Island Packet 35 Tucson, AZ/San Carlos, MX
Its how you can tell what we're doing.
In that respect, I can see the reason for your sticklerhood.
I really don't care where or what flags anyone flies.
Either way, I'd stay out of your way, but my boat'll be a bit of a mystery as to its purposes. :biggrin: